The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a young farmer that is getting ready to graduate college and I am looking at buying a combine. I am currently running a 1660 and I do not know a whole lot about the newer combines. I was looking at getting a 8010 and was wondering if they are a good series to switch to or should I look at a different series? I also had heard that they were not a big enough series to run a 40FT draper and a 12 row corn head. Is this true? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm located in Southern Iowa Northern Missouri. Corn and soybeans. Yields for corn anywhere from 130-200 bushel corn 40-70 bushels beans. Do some of our crops and some custom work. Also might go with a neighbor on wheat harvest to help make payment. I have a case dealer within 15 miles of me. I haven't had a set price yet. Feeling things out for when combine prices come down this winter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have not heard particularly good things about the dependability of the 8010 series combines. In talking to a family friend who is Case IH to the grave he told me they were not particularly durable machines. He however runs a 7120 and loves it. On our farm we have an 8120, and it has been good to us. It's a 2011 model that we have run since 2012 with only the minor and expected problems. We began running CIH combines in 2001 with a 1666, upgraded years later to a 2388, and then to the 8120. All have been good machines. I definitely am a believer in CIH combines, but would tend to stay away from the 10 series machines.

·
Registered
72 Posts
How many acres are you going to be combining? Have you considered a green combine? A lot of 4420's or 6620's with heads out there for peanuts if you are willing to wrench on them. If there is a JD dealer nearby it might make sense.
Tractor house will be your friend when you are browsing and learning.

·
Registered
880 Posts
it probably wont be the combine that will kill you,
it will be the 2 headers you want to put on there.
going on harvest run to make money you need pretty solid equipment for custom acres otherwise they wont hire you back next year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I need something a lot newer and more reliable to get more acres done than what my 1660 can do. I seen that the 8010 were kind of in my price range. But if they are not a very solid combine i will veer away from that series.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The early 8010s had some issues but CIH did release updates for them, but I would think they should all be taken care of by now. Do some research on them as I can't tell you all the differences. I do remember a salesman, who actually spent time in the seat of the combines, telling us to buy an 08 or newer 8010 if I remember correctly.

With all that said we went from a 1660, to a late 1680 with long shoe and the Cummins, then to a 2388. Not sure how many acres you are planning to combine but don't knock the 2388 out of your choice either. Unhook the wastegate and turn the pump up a bit.

With that said if you are set on a 40' head then yes you would probably want to get into an 8010 or bigger.

We actually bought a CR9070 this year and run a 40' Case 2162 (FD70) on it. We don't raise corn through, instead we are wheat, beans, and sunflowers so that's why we chose the yellow one. Talking to many neighbors and a few different people, your choice to stick with the red ones for corn and soybeans is the correct decision.

Best of luck in your search.

·
Registered
652 Posts
You should look into a nice used tr99. Capacity is great, easy to work on, very reliable and you can get them cheap. Best bang for your buck, if not 2009 was a great year for the cr9070. Will have more capacity than the case for similar price.

·
Registered
401 Posts
It sounds like the 8010's are getting torn apart on this thread. I have had a MF 750, MF 850, 1680, 2388, and an 8010. I have liked all my combines, but I will say that I have liked each one more than the last one. When I had my 2388 I didn't think I could like any machine more, but after having the 8010 for a couple of years now I do. With that being said I was told not to get an 8010 that was older than a 2006. Mine is a 2008 and the only problems I have had with it have been normal wear and tear (a couple bearings, belts, chains and so forth) so I feel like overall it has been a good machine.

·
Registered
195 Posts
This is our second season with an '08 8010 and it has been very reliable, haven't finished with corn yet but in the past 5,600 acres we've had less than 5 hours of downtime, broke the rethresher drive belt last year and this year we had the solenoid that turns the unload auger on die and had two bearings go out on a rethresher shaft. We jumped to the 8010 last year from a 2377 because we could get a lot more machine than a 2588 or a 6088 for the money and haven't regretted the move one bit. We are running a 35' 2162 in beans and a 1083 head in corn. In beans it is right at twice the machine that our 2377 was and it will push an 8 row head through 200 bpa corn at 5 mph like it's nothing. We are just east of you a ways south of Fairfield and with all of our hills and terraces the self leveling sieves in the Flagship combines are a great feature.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.