The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a good solid 300 hp+ tractor. I've been running Deeres mostly but am beyond tired of the maintenance costs (2 sets of injectors on a 9630, 50K on rear-end work, now they want me to replace a $10K harness). My 8R series are frustrating - mostly sensors, electronic and emissions problems. I'm not married to green except I like the GPS. I'm frustrated with my green dealer and am open to any color. I'd just like to know of some tractors that have been relatively bullet-proof.

Probably more interested in the MFWD size but, also curious about which large frame tractors are most reliable as well.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
AGCO's and CNH emission systems are a better design then JD. You have the pain of Def, but less problems. As far as MFD tractors go you can't go wrong with a Magnum, MF 8700 or Fendt 1000 series. I actually thought JD on there new emission system corrected there problems.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AGCO's and CNH emission systems are a better design then JD. You have the pain of Def, but less problems. As far as MFD tractors go you can't go wrong with a Magnum, MF 8700 or Fendt 1000 series. I actually thought JD on there new emission system corrected there problems.
Are the new Magnums good or are you talking about the old 7100,7200 and 8900's? I tried a MX285 and a TG285 and swore never again. Is the MF 8700 reliable? Around here it's 80% Deere - not even the guy I have talked to at the MF dealer recommended a Massey-electrical glitches he said were to common. Maybe he just wanted to sell me a Fendt but, I'm not in the market for that new of a tractor.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Well we run a 2012 MF and a 2002 Challenger tractor and have had only one glitch in the Challenger with a sensor that showed up at the 3200 hour mark. The MF has been flawless.

·
Premium Member
5,653 Posts
Loco if you could find a magnum in the series you listed with low hours that would be a good find. Our 7220 magnum with front wheel assist is one of my favourite tractors. Those tractors were well made and very simple. I like not having all the electronic crap and sensors on a tractor. I purposely bought a tractor that old used with low hours to get away from all the electronics and electro hydraulic remotes.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Old Magnums were a decent tractor but you would have to hook 2 of them together to do the work of Loco 9630 Johnny.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Is the MF 8700 reliable? Around here it's 80% Deere - not even the guy I have talked to at the MF dealer recommended a Massey-electrical glitches he said were to common
Well not 100% sure on the model, I can find out though.
A friend of mine bought a 300hp MF fwa new, duals all around with cvt transmission has two seasons on it, I kind of cringed when he told me he was buying this tractor.
Electrical on this tractor has been ok so far.
There was 2 issues with the tractor.
Some service bulletin on the engine came out so the dealer took it back in the winter and new sleeves and pistons were put in it.
Dealer was just out to his place again this summer and changed the rear wheel cast drive hubs, as they had cracks in them.
Neither of these 2 repairs caused any downtime for the friend and he is quite happy with the tractor so far.
And Agco and the dealer has looked after everything on warranty so far.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Versatile
I'm waiting on a quote or a delta track - problem is no dealer within 5 hours of me so I'm a bit nervous. They tell me I can get the motor serviced by truck dealers and the tranny by cat. Are you running the later versatiles? I need something new enough I can run gps rtk in it. I'm probably going to be leaning toward a mfwd frame size vs articulated. Are they good and reliable as well? I've heard decent things about the bigger but nothing about that size.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The problem with a fwa tractor. The front axel will give you trouble. You can Easley spend 15-20 k fixing it.
I know this🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bullet proof tractors may be a thing of the past. Because people that buy new generally demand every toy feature imaginable the manufacturers trip over themselves building complex electrical nightmares. Add rogue governments demanding near impossible emission standards and reliability is something for stories to be told to grandchildren.

Pardon the cynicism but it's just the way it is.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'm probably going to be leaning toward a mfwd frame size vs articulated. Are they good and reliable as well? I
Well I have a story on that as well.
The friend that bought the 300hp Massey traded in a 300hp Versatile fwa that was nothing but a problem child.
That is mostly due to the local dealer who for whatever reason didn't repair the problems.
It had an engine issue blowing antifreeze out the overflow bottle amongst a list of little stuff as long as your arm.
So tractor got traded just before warranty expired to a MF dealer which is also Versatile and cummins authorized repair dealer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I need something new enough I can run gps rtk in it. I'm probably going to be leaning toward a mfwd frame size vs articulated. Are they good and reliable as well? I've heard decent things about the bigger but nothing about that size.
You can put RTK or RTX gps into any old tractor for not a ton of money. If you just want cheap reliable horsepower and aren't worried about having a luxury suite for a cab, you could get into a series III versatile, like a 895 or 975, and even if you buy the GPS seperately, still be under US$20k. Trimble makes EZ-steer brackets for the old versatiles, and you can use it with any accuracy or subscription - you just have to buy the unlock codes($$)

Is there a reason you want to stay away from the articulated tractors?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Question? Would anyone be afraid of a 10000hr. Tractor for a third tractor.
Just to run a planter and grian cart. I hate putting an expenses tractor on a grain cart. I call hrs on a grian cart useless hrs. Cuz not running to the potential of the work it can do. You know what I mean?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm looking for a good solid 300 hp+ tractor. I've been running Deeres mostly but am beyond tired of the maintenance costs (2 sets of injectors on a 9630, 50K on rear-end work, now they want me to replace a $10K harness). My 8R series are frustrating - mostly sensors, electronic and emissions problems. I'm not married to green except I like the GPS. I'm frustrated with my green dealer and am open to any color. I'd just like to know of some tractors that have been relatively bullet-proof.
Probably more interested in the MFWD size but, also curious about which large frame tractors are most reliable as well.
Kirovets 435 hp. 428 hp Kirovet coming to North America ...
Mostly mechanical design, simple, reliable.
4 yr/6,000 hrs warranty
Mercedes engine, Quad shift transmission, 74 gpm hydraulics, quite modern cab.
Fully loaded with Trimble, Isobus, duals, differential, weights, PTO, 3pt hitch - around 260k

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
If you know the history of a tractor hours don’t scare me. If I was going to buy a higher hour tractor I would look for simplicity and ease of service. We have a tg series new holland and wouldn’t touch another. We also have 3 8000 series Deere’s and love them but we have an excellent dealer.

·
Registered
655 Posts

The Massey 8600 and 8700 are good tractors ,you do

The Massy 8600 and 8700 are good tractors with a few maintenance tips they run well. The 8700S takes it to a whole new level of reliability ease of operation.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Any thing that has a DPF and def is not a solid tractor IMO. That is just creating an expense and down time eventually. I don't own or have ever used a 300 hp FWA tractor. Don't believe I ever would either. The front diff in those things seem light weight and to then add duals to them yet, with U joints that really get angled hard compared to a articulating tractor seems like things will be short lived. Maybe I am completely wrong here but when it comes to heavy loads and higher HP the old articulated design is king for reliability with proper maintenance.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I don't own or have ever used a 300 hp FWA tractor. Don't believe I ever would either.
I'd choose FWA every time due to ease of operation and overall handiness for most jobs.
If I could figure out how to pull 49 ft airdrill with the 210hp fwa I'd do it lol
However I agree with you 100%, initial cost and operating expenses for the work done should be lower on an articulating tractor.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts