The Combine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some recommendations on a self propelled sprayer.

I'm a new(ish) farmer, I'm buying out my dad's operation because he's had to retire for health reasons. This year is my first year to go it alone. I farm around 1300 acres in Oklahoma. No till soybeans on 15" rows, usually about 500 acres of wheat, and starting to try some milo. Ground is pretty rough, I'm planning on trying to clean up a lot of the rough patches this winter.

A lot of the stuff that he had was broken, in poor condition, etc. We have JD 6500 that is beat up and doesn't work right.. the sprayer won't auto adjust the pressure to match the speed, and he's messed up the wiring a lot. I've considered taking it in to get fixed but I'm having doubts about it.. I know it's a rough riding machine, the boom needs a lot of work, and the last year he ran it, he even broke the front end and it's all patched/welded back together.

I went skip row this year by lifting one of my boxes and using a 7430 with a pull behind Wylie. The sprayer works ok but I want to use that tractor to pull the planter I'm buying, I need it for the 3 SCVs with a bulk fill planter. So, I'm planning on making due for the time being, but I want to start planning on what I should get.

My questions:
1) Is there any self propelled that stands out for 15" rows? I don't care about the color. I am interested in what people are using to spray in 15" rows.

2) Price range: I'm hoping to get something in the 70k range. Less is good, I could swing more if I had to. Is this a good price range to hope for?

3) is there anyone out there using a 6500 still? Should I spend the money to fix it up(I'm guessing 5-10k)? The boom is pretty trashed, I may want to replace the whole boom, are there good sources for that?

Any advice/experience would be welcome. I realize I probably don't even know the right questions to ask.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I hate reading stuff typed in all caps, but this deserves all caps: Do not use the 6500 for a field sprayer! That rough riding SOB will kill your back and make you hire all your spraying.

Turn it into a wiper for your milo. Thats a slow speed task.

I don't think you would be happy trying to row 15" beans. Buy the widest booms you can afford and spray them across the rows.

With older sprayers dealer support becomes important. Check into what machines have good support in your area.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, bent.

I'm leaning towards ignoring the 6500 for now and just using my pull behind. I'd like to get a big wide sprayer but a lot of my fields are not straight or long rows... I think a smaller sprayer might work better.. but I hadn't thought about just driving across the rows. That's not a bad idea. Even at 60 feet width I wouldn't be losing out on all that much if I just drove across them perpendicular.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.