The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to this forum and looking for advice. Currently am running three 9600 ranging from 1995 to 2000. Working well but really struggling to get the job done in a timely fashion. I am thinking of trading one 9600 for a 9860-9870 but demoed one last year and was unimpressed. In heavy crop of oats old 9600's crept forward(slowly) but 9870 plugged the pre-seperator 3 times in one round. ugh!! Also I need to get going in the a.m. when straw is tough and work in tough straw conditions almost all the time. Is this well suited to 9870? Anyone with experience with them in these types of conditions? I harvest wheat, oats, barley, canola etc. No corm or beans. Thoughts?

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you are working in tough straw I assume you mean damp straw conditions all the time then you probably won't be happy with any rotory. Conventionals have an advantage there. I've run both of the machines you're talking about, and in good dry conditions the 9870 will do 1.5 to 1.75 as much as 9600.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you happen to buy an sts don't waste your money on the 9860 buy a 9760 or even 9660 but put a precision feed accelerator in it. No more plugging up front and then put a chip in it and all is well. We run a 9650 beside a 8010 and although it is smaller it does hold it's own. We went from 2 9600's to these 2 combines and easily more than doulbled our capacity. 1 thought, we put in the sunny brook beaters in our 9600's and it made a great deal of difference in throwing over on the walkers, we never put in the cylinders but have talked to guys who did and said it was a good investment maybe u would be better served to put a few grand into your 9600's and increase their capacity. If we had enough operators available we'd run 4 or 5 9600's simple and cheap!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys. I am located in Southern Manitoba Canada. Just about 15 minutes north of the North Dakota border. This year is a perfect example of the tough conditions we operate in. I have about 1000 acres left to go and swaths are now covered with a light snow. The only real reason I am condsidering going away from the 9600's is to reduce manpower and speed harvest (so I don't harvest in the snow)! Is there any thought of Deere coming with a super conventional?

·
Registered
778 Posts
You mean the T670? It's ok but still 300g. After doing a dozen full Precision upgrades on 9600s this year it's very obvious that it's the best bang for the buck. 1 used 9600 for $40,000 plus 1 PF Parts upgrade kit for $10,000 equals cheap performance that will be snapping at the heels of the T670. A T670 doesn't even have HUR. Still don't understand that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts