The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 354 perkins that I am planning on putting in a truck. It came out of MF 550 and was also used in the MF 1100 along with several other tractors. Since it came out of a 550 combine, it doesn't have a damper on it, just a regular pulley. I got a price quote of 1700 for a new pulley. I was wondering if you guys have or know anybody that might have a junk MF 1100 or something with a 354 in it that I could buy the damper off of. I live in NE Missouri, so if they are any farther than 75 miles, I will have to have it shipped.

If you guys know of any big junkyards with lots of MF stuff or Oliver which also has the 354 in some of their tractors, let me know. I thought about calling up to some places in Canada since MF seems to be more popular up there, but I would much rather have a place within the USA. Thanks.

·
Registered
225 Posts
10 plus years ago our pulley on our 850 went bad. I sent it to a place in California and had it rebuilt. Cost was about $370 if I remember correctly. New at time was about $1100 Sorry I cannot remember the name of the place that rebuilt it. I found their number in a car restoration magazine, Hemmings magazine maybe.

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you have problems finding one we have an old junker 750 with a 354t in it that was seized. It may have one.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have problems finding one we have an old junker 750 with a 354t in it that was seized. It may have one.
What design is the damper? There are a 152 different cranks in the 354. The one we have uses a thrust block with 3 bolts pressing the damper on. The crank is simply round with a key. I know other designs use a single 5/8 bolt to hold the damper on.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What are you putting the Perkins into? Love to see some pictures when done. There was a couple of articles in Farm Show magazine of these conversions. If I remember right one was a 70's Ford that they put twin turbos on the 354, pretty neat.

·
Registered
372 Posts
What design is the damper? There are a 152 different cranks in the 354. The one we have uses a thrust block with 3 bolts pressing the damper on. The crank is simply round with a key. I know other designs use a single 5/8 bolt to hold the damper on.
I don't know. I'll look at it tomorrow.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are you putting the Perkins into? Love to see some pictures when done. There was a couple of articles in Farm Show magazine of these conversions. If I remember right one was a 70's Ford that they put twin turbos on the 354, pretty neat.
A 73 ford f-600 (maybe a 72', i don't remember). The gas engine is gonna go kaput before to long. There is plenty of space in those trucks. How do you twin turbo a inline 6 though? Just put two turbos on one line? lol Ive never seen a twin turboed straight 6.

·
Registered
372 Posts
A 73 ford f-600 (maybe a 72', i don't remember). The gas engine is gonna go kaput before to long. There is plenty of space in those trucks. How do you twin turbo a inline 6 though? Just put two turbos on one line? lol Ive never seen a twin turboed straight 6.
Use one turbo to work, gut the other put it inline and make it look BAD AS*:cool:
An inline can be twin turboed with the proper engineering.

I dropped a 248NA 4 banger perkins in my '76 Dodge 200 service truck years ago and slapped a turbo on it. Didn't do any engineering to the fuel system and it smoked some but it was a sweet running pickup and had great fuel economy.

BTW I didn't look at our 750 yesterday, I will look today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts