The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Anyone running one, looking to upgrade and we’d like to see how they compare to the older models.
Cheers
...... anyone? Surely someone has some preliminary comments on the '50 series running full automation - "Harvest Command" - by now.
Understand if you're still learning & trying to fine tune it ........ just appreciate the thoughts so far.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I thought all X250 units were going to get the retro paint job.
Or that a special model?
That’s the 150 series. Not sure if only for only for one year or all 150 combines will have the colour. Don’t think anybody in North America buys the belt drive models anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Welker farms has a youtube video of a couple running. A neighbor of theirs got to demo one in wheat. They got to ride in some cutting corn. May be at least worth watching. Talking with Nick Welker and TJ Wanken about it, they were impressed with the automation. Wished I would have made the time go catch a ride on it. Search youtube for "Welker Farms 8250" Should find something.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What do you want to know? It’s good in wheat, real good in corn, and ok in beans and canola. If I were a guy that had novice operators I’d buy it and tell them to use it. If you’re one of those “why can’t they just keep **** the way it used to be” guys, then it’s probably not for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanna know with all the new harvest command automation whether you can get any more tonne/hr out of them compared to an 8240. The price difference here in Aus is quite large. Probably going to recoup some costs at trade because of the newer model, but I’d like to see some more performance. I understand how the harvest command works, we aren’t overly stressed about cracked grain or sample as it mainly gets sent to feed.
Generally we consider the limiting factor of these headers to be the rotor, if you push them too hard they get rotor loss, regardless of blocks or modules.

I’ve seen the Welker farms video and I thought it was helpful but he’s raving about a the header whilst stripping about 25t/hr, no offence to him the crop was what it was, and the crop makes the tonnes/hr. We’d at least like to see 40t/hr here in Aus with minimal loss, I’d prefer 50.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I forgot to add and I can’t figure out how to edit, all those figures are for wheat. Barley is usually over 50+ and canola about 15+ tonnes/hr.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,748 Posts
Just click on the black Edit icon down the bottom of any of your posts and it will bring up a new page and you can edit your post. Then just click save.

Where in Aus are u?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wanna know with all the new harvest command automation whether you can get any more tonne/hr out of them compared to an 8240. The price difference here in Aus is quite large. Probably going to recoup some costs at trade because of the newer model, but I’d like to see some more performance. I understand how the harvest command works, we aren’t overly stressed about cracked grain or sample as it mainly gets sent to feed.
Generally we consider the limiting factor of these headers to be the rotor, if you push them too hard they get rotor loss, regardless of blocks or modules.

I’ve seen the Welker farms video and I thought it was helpful but he’s raving about a the header whilst stripping about 25t/hr, no offence to him the crop was what it was, and the crop makes the tonnes/hr. We’d at least like to see 40t/hr here in Aus with minimal loss, I’d prefer 50.
Throughout the course of a 10-12 hour day sitting in a combine, yes you’ll see yield gains. The 2019 model does actually have a 2% increase in cleaning area compared to 2018 models, but that’s negligible. If you’re in variable crops, the machine is going to outperform a tired operator all day long, if you’re in a consistent crop I’d say the machine is going to match what an expert operator would do, assuming all else being equal. The real trick to using automation is to use it in conjunction with feedrate, and knowing which strategy to set the machine to.

If you’re still feeling uneasy about purchasing the package, there are still benefits to the MY19 features. The adjustable vanes, the in cab pre-sieve adjustment and the feeder fore-aft adjustment are relatively cheap options that can assist you in increasing realized yields.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
That’s the 150 series. Not sure if only for only for one year or all 150 combines will have the colour. Don’t think anybody in North America buys the belt drive models anymore.
The heritage machines are still fairly popular in the corn belt, I run a 6088 will probably stick with the heritage line when I trade net time I think. Flagships have their advantages but maintenance is not one of them, guys that have them here are putting transition cones in every 700-800 hours. If I felt the need to dump the heritage line chances are I'd float to NH. I think the problem with the flagship transition is its a single rotor shoved in a machine meant for two.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,748 Posts
Southern NSW
Well you mustn’t be to far from myself and a few others on here.........

Big gamble anyone that takes on a new machine this year. We are okay northern Riverina but it can go pear shaped quickly.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Flagships have their advantages but maintenance is not one of them, guys that have them here are putting transition cones in every 700-800 hours... I think the problem with the flagship transition is its a single rotor shoved in a machine meant for two.
I know the cone is a lot thicker than on the 2388 we used to run. How much of this quick wearing out is due to more acres/hour going through the flagship machines? How often would a transition cone wear out on a 7088?

In my mind maintenance means bearings, belts, grease points, and moving parts. In that respect the flagship machines beat the heritage hands down. Less moving parts, fewer grease-able bearings (over-greasing leads to high failure rates), fewer belts. The only sore spot is the chopper drive shaft within a shaft. Horrible hack design. We're up to 1000 hours on the oldest machine now, and just starting to think about eventual cone and/or vane replacement. Probably will look into a liner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Throughout the course of a 10-12 hour day sitting in a combine, yes you’ll see yield gains. The 2019 model does actually have a 2% increase in cleaning area compared to 2018 models, but that’s negligible. If you’re in variable crops, the machine is going to outperform a tired operator all day long, if you’re in a consistent crop I’d say the machine is going to match what an expert operator would do, assuming all else being equal. The real trick to using automation is to use it in conjunction with feedrate, and knowing which strategy to set the machine to.

If you’re still feeling uneasy about purchasing the package, there are still benefits to the MY19 features. The adjustable vanes, the in cab pre-sieve adjustment and the feeder fore-aft adjustment are relatively cheap options that can assist you in increasing realized yields.
Yeah righto that’s about where I got with it. You’ll pick up a bit but not a lot. But all in all it’s a more user friendly header which has been a decent reason to upgrade to newer models subsequently.
The price change is fairly large, dealers trying to get rid of the 8240s because they aren’t selling too well due to last year being a drought and this year looking down the barrel of being below average again.

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts

I agree, don't watch that video to see max capacity in wheat. It got hot and dry here last year, same with this year. My hard thrash covers never came off in my 8120 with wheat.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
I know the cone is a lot thicker than on the 2388 we used to run. How much of this quick wearing out is due to more acres/hour going through the flagship machines? How often would a transition cone wear out on a 7088?

In my mind maintenance means bearings, belts, grease points, and moving parts. In that respect the flagship machines beat the heritage hands down. Less moving parts, fewer grease-able bearings (over-greasing leads to high failure rates), fewer belts. The only sore spot is the chopper drive shaft within a shaft. Horrible hack design. We're up to 1000 hours on the oldest machine now, and just starting to think about eventual cone and/or vane replacement. Probably will look into a liner.
I agree with more product through the flagships compared to say a 2388, but the newer heritage machines hold their own against the flagships here. Transition cones in the 88 series go 1500-2000 hours, flagships are 700-800.

I thought I read somewhere that the new 150 series have more hdraulic components on them as well, may be mistaken.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts