The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are seeking an individual to work with us on our family farm. Our farm is located just 20 minutes away from Edmonton. We have no livestock, strictly a grain farm operation. Salary is based on performance and experience, accommodations are available with minimal cost. No smoking/No drugs, must have a valid Class 1 licence, Any trade skills are an asset. Must have good working Knowledge of English, Must be physically fit as the job is sometimes physically demanding.

Duties include:
-service and maintain trucks and equipment
-operate various pieces of farm equipment, such as tractors, combines, lawn mowers
-must be able to work weekends and long hours during spring and fall seasons
-yard maintenance such as lawn and tree cutting
-building/bin construction, welding, mechanic work, and various trades
-classic car restoration projects during the winter when work is slow

If you are looking to have a great job with only one boss, this is a great opportunity to have a career in agriculture, working outside when weather is good, and inside when its super cold out! We are only considering individuals which have an interest in farming as a career, this is not available for individuals looking for short-term employment until oil picks up.

Please respond with a resume attached

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm in... but I'll need to take leave of absence in the spring and fall to do my own farming!

Good luck in the search. I think my brother-in-law found his guys through the local paper.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I was wondering the same :). What side of the city are you on? I will come help for free unless my cows say otherwise.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha,
The '63 nova has a 383 stroker, while the '67 will be getting an LS3.

'67 will be next years project.

As funny as it sounds, or as unbelievable as it sounds, my full-time guy can't be bothered to work on it with me, even though it's in a heated shop. So I say, fine, go home sit on your azz playing video games and look after your family that way buddy.

I am in a real need of good help, gotta make about 6 call backs of resumes this weekend.

Looking for 2 guys full time.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
Just some words of wisdom from experience.
NEVER make pay offers up front, EVER!
It didn't take me long to figure this out either but here is what happens or had happened to me. I ended up with a pile of punks wanting a job that were never there on a weekend, the 4th of July would mutilate thier brains for at least two weeks and half ways through harvest if they made it that far couldn't make payments on the overpriced pickup they were driving that they had to find a different job and go back home to mom's.

I know offering good pay is good advertising but you may find it's easier to get a feel for a guy and mentally get an idea if ya even want him and then ask him how much he would like to earn. It may surprise you what little someone in need of a good job will ask for. This gives you a chance to see what he is worth and if ya like him give him a few small raises or what I find works well is do a job and if all goes well without accidents and such reward him with bonuses. Things like that seem to drive them to be there.

Always remember, half the battle is just getting them to show up. Once ya got them wanting to come to work the rest is easy.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
The best workers aren't usually running around looking for top dollar, they are looking more for meaningful work and a place that treats them with respect and dignity and allows them the freedom to use their intelligence and expect to be given responsibility. If someone is just looking to make big money, they will just drop you as soon as they find someone paying more.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have tried advertising with no pay posted, and my findings were two things...

The very first question was: how much are you going to pay me?
This results in my hanging up.

The other finding is that I only end up with about 5% of the resumes as I do when I list a salary range or an "up to $XX.XX/hr"
Then if I do speak with them I give them the whole "well if you do a good job, or are a skilled performer, you have the potential to earn $XX.XX/hr"
Kinda like dangling a carrot. I figure they need some kind of incentive, I figure they need to see there is potential to grow and earn more money if they do good for me.
Mind you, it has yet to work in practice.

·
Registered
94 Posts
This seems so unreal. I'd be willing to work my ass off for 15/h. I was fortunate for the last guy in sask i worked for. They evem gave me free accommodation and a truck with fuel card. I absolutely loved working for them. How would you not show up for work. It was fun. A guy has to understand that farming isnt a 9-5 job. You gotta be dedicated. And yea whoever i'd work for i'd be wanting to become more as just an employee. Be more a part of the family and eventually part owner or whatever other options there are but thats my opinion and maybe my ethic as a german. I dont know if thats racist haha but you know what i mean.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
This seems so unreal. I'd be willing to work my ass off for 15/h. I was fortunate for the last guy in sask i worked for. They evem gave me free accommodation and a truck with fuel card. I absolutely loved working for them. How would you not show up for work. It was fun. A guy has to understand that farming isnt a 9-5 job. You gotta be dedicated. And yea whoever i'd work for i'd be wanting to become more as just an employee. Be more a part of the family and eventually part owner or whatever other options there are but thats my opinion and maybe my ethic as a german. I dont know if thats racist haha but you know what i mean.
Is your wife qualified to work in Canada? I have an ad for employment right now also.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Haha,
The '63 nova has a 383 stroker, while the '67 will be getting an LS3.

'67 will be next years project.

As funny as it sounds, or as unbelievable as it sounds, my full-time guy can't be bothered to work on it with me, even though it's in a heated shop. So I say, fine, go home sit on your azz playing video games and look after your family that way buddy.

I am in a real need of good help, gotta make about 6 call backs of resumes this weekend.

Looking for 2 guys full time.
Right on, there was a thread started for vehicle projects like this, you better post some pics. The LS gonna be done up to look like an old small block ?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's gonna be left looking like LS, maybe a custom engine cover.

Cars will be a little lowered and tubbed, so they can fit wide rubber front and back.
I build quality Shyte.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This seems so unreal. I'd be willing to work my ass off for 15/h...
You had me at hello...!

Well, you didn't say hello, but I'd hire you no matter what, under those terms! Unless you were a thief or child molester.
The last time I paid a guy $15/hr he couldn't speak English and he didn't know how to drive a car.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Can name a few hobby farmers that would give up their full time job and the hobby farm if there was another guy to work for that would consider taking them on more than just an employee.

I agree, making them feel appreciated and that they have a purpose keeps employees around longer and negates leaving for higher wages. There was a study done proving this.

Know one farmer would give their employee X bushels that they could market themselves as a bonus. Thought this was neat, gives them the perspective of income fluctuating with the market.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Is your wife qualified to work in Canada? I have an ad for employment right now also.

Hey, she's not. it's really hard even for canadian med students to come back to their home country for rotations or even residency. IF canada was an option i wouldn't hesitate to come back. we have been doing a lot of research to see if there was a way but we probably have to wait until she graduates. Im just so surprised that there isnt any american farmers at all showing interest in me haha...i dont know if this forums majority is canadians or what.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts