The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting information about the CR combines. I would prefer the 960. I am looking for experiences, ease to service, reliability etc. I know nothing about these combines and might possibly be running one on harvest so I want to know all I can. How do the cabs compare to the John Deere cabs?

Does anyone have any pictures of the cabs, them running, etc?

Thanks, Alex

·
Registered
371 Posts
oh, my bad. But guys around here that aren't knob dickers did great with them. I think the cab is the best on the market. I ran one w/ a 42' Draper and was very impressed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't think there is a better combine cab out there today. All of the basic machine controlsare right at the edge of the console and they are set back into the edge far enough that you don't accidentally bumb any of them. The electronics take a bit of getting used to. On one hand the display sort of works like windows in that you have a main menu down the left then submenues in each main menu. Also anytime there is an alarm or when you are making an adjustment a pop up window box appears and shows you what you are changing. On the negative side it uses symbols for the menus and if you set it to display all of the menus including setup and diag then it looks a bit overwhelming to a beginner.
The machine itselfis easy to set but the manualis confusing and does not mension all of the finetuning adjustments that ae possible. For instance I have never found any mension of the adjustable windboards in the op manual.
Other pluses, I'd say having a complete machine diagnostic onboard is good. It does not diagnose the engine system without a dealer laptop and Bosche software. Every other sensor on the machine can be checked right from the cab including the mass flow and moisture sensor outputs. The CAN bus makes it possible to install a AG Leader Insite with the factory yield sensors. The standard chopper and chaff spreaders seem to work good and allow baling straw behind it. The machine can use either ground contact or feerhouse angle to work the AHHC. Its pretty nice to use feeder angle to cut wheat.
Minuses, The CR960 I worked with had power issues. I'm not sure just how common this is. A 940 set up identicle could cut about 1.5 acres to 1 acre with the 960. There was a software change to tell the engine to turn on the unload boost at all times insted of only when the unloading auger was running. This made a big improvement but to me not enough for the price difference for the engine. I will have to see before summer if this can be fixed. I have a theory that the injection timing may be off causing the lack of torque. I'll know more when I get up to see it again. By 2007 CR960's will have a different 8.7L engine.
modified- IVECO Motors shows a 8.7L Cursor for teir3 replacing the 7.8L Cursor. But the combines may have the 8.3L CDC/Cummins.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Unless you know otherwise?
Last I was told the INSITE would read the YM data from the CAN bus. Then you only needed to attach a serial GPS reciever to the INSITE to get mapping/dataloagging ability. If you go with the Universal Display/ Inteliview (2005 and newer machines) you must have the CAN bus compatible Tremble reciever that NH sells.
If you heard the opposite then let me know.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was just doing a little research, NH says a GPS reciever must be CAN bus ISO 11783 compatible to use it. I assume that was CAN 1.0 because I know ISO11898 is CAN 2.0 The thing is from looking into other things I know the Bosche EDC MS6.2 controller like on a CR960 engine is CAN 2.0 because it has an Infineon C167CR processor which has a CAN 2.0 controller in it.
At any rate the CCM3 puts all of the YM outputs on the CAN bus so the display can read it. If the INSITE CAN bus is ISOthen it just needs the software to read the sensor readings.
Also I found that you can only use the large screen single card slot Intelleview/UniversalDisplay in a combine. The older 2 card slot one will not work.

Let me know what you find out from Ag Leader.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Alex, I have some pictures of my cr 970 cab but need to know how to post them. My neighbor runs new 9760 deere's and although they are nice there is still quite a bit of difference in noice and the feel of the cab. After a year in the cr sitting in a deere cab makes me feel a bit claustiphobic if that makes sense. The cr is a much more relaxing to sit in than the deere and much quieter. I had an 81 year old retired farmer come out and ride in the cab with us and then came back after a day to ride again. In the mean time he rode with another neighbor in a 9760 and he sure raved about the NH cab. You just feel like you have lots of space. Really, both are nice but NH is really nice. My first combine to run was a 127 IH and then a 403 IH. We put lots of hours on since those days and it feels good that combines have advanced as far as they have. I use a data logger to keep field records. The reliability of the cr is next to none. I had no issues to talk about other than good ones. I put on 260 hours in heavy crop with damp conditions. Aside from the engine stuggles that JD has been having, I also don't like their chaff management system where as if you drop straw you can't spread the chaff like you canon the CR. Even the chains on the CR are spring tensioned so you have less wear than before.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I too have pictures but can't figure out how to post them. We run a 970 beside a 9860. The Deere has more raw power but the CR is a nicer machine. One more Deere positive I thot was easier servicing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks.
The only other one from last harvest is the green machine in the same field. That is canola being harvested. It is windrowed and allowed to cure down for about 2 weeks and then picked up with a belt pickup.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts