The Combine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been growing Souris and Triactor the past 3 seasons and are very happy. I would like to add the variety Stride to our oat program. Can anybody comment on these varieties and the new one Stride? Im looking for 250 tonnes for seed.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Triactor has lighter test weight, but great yield and standability. We would grow 1/3 our production and blend it up. Definitely not a direct milling oat. A pass through debearder is always a help.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
About three years ago I tried triactor side by side with both pinnacle and brettania. The brettania had shorter straw and stood better, they out yielded the other two 20 bpa more. For the last three years I have straight cut them with very few losses due to shelling tests weights have always been good

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Woodytr99, your saying Brettania outyielded Triactor by 20 bushels and stood better?

Where are you located?

Who carries Brettania?

Is Brettania a milling oat for human? Or pony oats?
Sorry. Brettania out yielded the tractor by ten and the pinnacles by 20 bpa. I am located at carlyle sk
I have some bin run and I will be cleaning some in January . I sold all of my 2013 production to Emerson milling and can oat at portage

My yield this year was a tad over 100. Which is good for our area and I sowed them the end of May

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Triactor has lighter test weight, but great yield and standability. We would grow 1/3 our production and blend it up. Definitely not a direct milling oat. A pass through debearder is always a help.
What's your theory with blending the three varieties? I realize you're bringing the poorer variety up but you're also dragging your average down. My buyers are almost as concerned with consistency as quality.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Sorry to hijack but how heavy do you seed? Last few years we seed around 3 bu but have seeded before at 2 bu. I wonder how bu weight is affected by seed rate. I think weed competition is not as bad with the heavy seed rate but wonder about weight.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Sorry to hijack but how heavy do you seed? Last few years we seed around 3 bu but have seeded before at 2 bu. I wonder how bu weight is affected by seed rate. I think weed competition is not as bad with the heavy seed rate but wonder about weight.
Depending on seed size 85 to 110 pounds/acre.

We find here that bushel weight is not really the issue until lodging becomes an issue. So we if we keep oats standing we get test weight

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
How does souris compare in yield? We've done Orrin Morgan souris and triactor and the best so far has been Morgan for all around performance. Good standing, high test weight, good bushels. I was unhappy with triactor this year, flat as could be and light. Souris was ok but didn't yield as good. Not sure what we're doing for next year yet. In my area, we've been 140-170 avg in the last 3 years.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How does souris compare in yield? We've done Orrin Morgan souris and triactor and the best so far has been Morgan for all around performance. Good standing, high test weight, good bushels. I was unhappy with triactor this year, flat as could be and light. Souris was ok but didn't yield as good. Not sure what we're doing for next year yet. In my area, we've been 140-170 avg in the last 3 years.
Souris never gives us those huge thunderous yields but is always consistent in test weight, plump and color.

I would love to try Morgan. My neighbor grew them one year and could only get 32-34 pound test out of them here.

We use 50-70 pounds of N and usually avg yield around 3800-4000 pounds per acre. Yes some fields more but some less.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
We need to meet 38 pound specs.. Souris usually gives 42-45 whereas Triactor gives 34-36 bu weights. Pretty simple really.
Just to clarify I base a bushel of oats on a 34 lb bushel weight (2204/64.8) the bushel weight of my brettania oats are 38+ lbs. even more once they are cleaned

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.