The Combine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
590 Posts
Cruz, ole buddy, if you have not done so yet, take look over on CaseIH board. There is a thread that discusses a direct comparison of a 9410 and 2166, which, if you are open to a rotary, and you said your were, is a pretty fair discussion.
If it was me, and I had the funds you are willing to spend, I would not consider anything less than a 2166, as a rotor. A 1666 or 1660 are going back in time comfortwise, if you are comparing to a 9400-9510.
The axial flows are excellent machines, but don't let the talk about repairs and simpleness scare you away from the Maximizer walker. They are very user friendly machines, in my experience.
When you talk to your sources and do your research, ask them what you have to do to change between corn and soybeans with a rotor and walker. I don't know about changing between corn and soybeans with a Max, but we change between soybeans and milo by simply adjusting the little levers in back for the sieves and chaffer, and push three buttons to change cylinder and fan speed, and concave spacing, switch heads and go.
I don't know what it takes to switch between corn and soys with a rotor (STS or axial flow), if there are grates, and wires and fillers and bars, or just push a few buttons. But, check that out.
I am sure someone will post on here real shortly the crop changing drills for both machines. I am curious myself.

· Registered
590 Posts
Now that the red underwear brigade got their shot at you, I will try to answer your question regarding features/options.

First, a 94xx/95xx will be plenty of combine for the acres you are cropping, 450. In fact, those machines will handle 2-3 times that amount if you have visions of expanding in the future. You wll probably only be putting on 60-75 separator hours per year, so if in good condition when you buy it, it will last you a long, long time at your projected acreage.

Second, stay away from the early 9400s, 1989-1991, with the small engine, unless it is an absolute steal. Make sure any 9400 you look at has the 414 ci/6.8 liter engine. Their were mechanical problems with that engine and they are 30HP less than the 414. The small engine will handle your acreage, but.

Third, as far as other options, I assume you are looking at combines in corn/soybean country, so they should be set up as corn machines. Variable speed feeder house is one feature that should be standard on corn machines and the concaves are different, I believe.

Fourth, make sure it is not an imported grain machine, and if it is, make sure it is set up for corn. Your dealer/salesman should be able to answer all those questions, talk to the former owner, and if from an individual, ask the same, but it is probably obvious you are in corn country and looking at corn machines.

Corn guys may have some better input for you, but you won't go wrong with these models.

Of course, if you aren't color blind, you can save another $10,000 over the red machines and get a Gleaner R50 or R40. Just remember, there is a reason different machines are priced where they are, and you do get what you pay for.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.