The Combine Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,611 Posts
Hire your combining done and spend your money on a planter and sprayer. You will have much more money in your pocket. Spraying your own crop will both save you money on the chemicals and force you to look over your fields when you can actually learn something about what kind of planting job you did and how well your crops are growing.

Find a farmer with a newer combine in your area and work out an agreement to help him with harvest if he will cut your crop on a timely basis. Almost every one is short of help at harvest time.

· Registered
1,611 Posts
20000 for 450 acres? Thats $44/acre. I sure wish you were my neighbor, I'd be all over that. I cut and hauled for $25 after I was finished this summer, and am hiring a combine and operator only to help me out for about the same money this fall.

You don't say where you are located or if any salvage yards are anywhere near you. They are an important source of parts for older machines.

If you are looking to keep the machine for 10 years, stay away from 6620-7720 and 14xx-16xx machines. Parts can be difficult now, but will be quite iffy in another 10 years.

If it were me, I'd have a 9400 or 9410. Popularity is your friend with older equipment.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.