The Combine Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
If you really want to save money, get a 6620. It will get 400 acres covered just as fast as a 9400 and you will save about 40G right off the bat.

For the red guys, I would say find a 1460. Probably best bang/buck out there. Quiet cab.

· Registered
1,994 Posts
bdawg i agree the 14 series are a steal, bought another nice one this summer for $4300 for a 1480. Alot of times the 1480's are actually cheaper then 1460's. Also i think the 16 series falls in a bad gap were its not worth the extra over a 14 series and not enough less then a 21 to not justify the added features. Combiness i have every color on my farm also, deere planter, a GREEN brent grain cart hehe, case combines and tractors, new holland tractors and hay equipment. I try to buy what ever is going to make me the best profit regardless of color.

· Registered
1,611 Posts
20000 for 450 acres? Thats $44/acre. I sure wish you were my neighbor, I'd be all over that. I cut and hauled for $25 after I was finished this summer, and am hiring a combine and operator only to help me out for about the same money this fall.

You don't say where you are located or if any salvage yards are anywhere near you. They are an important source of parts for older machines.

If you are looking to keep the machine for 10 years, stay away from 6620-7720 and 14xx-16xx machines. Parts can be difficult now, but will be quite iffy in another 10 years.

If it were me, I'd have a 9400 or 9410. Popularity is your friend with older equipment.

· Registered
243 Posts
60 to 70K
I know that you can get a 9500/9600 893 and a 920 for about 50-55K....With those kind of acres I would find a farmer retiring and buy it from before his auction. Do NOT go and buy at an auction.
That or find a dealer and tell them your budget and what until they find one that fits the bill.

9500/9600 should be bought for around 30K and except to invest 7500 it to recondition and don't pay over 5K for the platform. used platform will always have something that needs to done. 15K for a old 893 or maybe even a 843 in decent. Stay away from the knife rolls they don't last and will break the bank at replacement time. i would go with pixall rolls or standard flutes.

Be firm with the dealer and don't let them stretch your budget. Just remember besides the payments you are looking at an average of 2500 to 3000 in parts and oil and etc every year.

· Registered
293 Posts
I'd stay away from those combines on purple wave, they look like they are 400 hours away from mexico. I'm a deere guy but for the money 2188's are a great combine, with recent cabs, and a lot of parts available. If your dead set on deere I'd look for a lower hour 1993 or later 95/9600.

· Registered
1,997 Posts
A cx machine will chop up the straw more than a 9600, the cx will have more capacity. If you are looking to bale straw, you can't beat the deere, more capacity go with a cx, reliability, I'm not sure about the cx, but I like the deere reliability and parts availibility(yes they do break down:D).

· Registered
778 Posts
There is some cheap 9600and 9500's on purplewave... And a 930 head at $2300 right now
Oh i've seen enough $2300 930s to know that they are bad news. 9 out of 10 of them need so much work that you will spend more on just parts, never mind labor, than it costs to buy a nicer, low acre head. If you don't know what to look for when buying, bring someone who does.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.