The Combine Forum banner

looking to buy 1st combine, opinions?

8K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  greentech 
#1 ·
For that amount of acres a ih 1660 in good condition with a 20 ft head and 4 row corn head can be bought for under 40 thousand leaving you some money for a grain cart and truck. Ih combines are extremely simple and easy to work on. As for what to check, check every plac that grain or crop material flows for places that are worn through, augers, chains, shaker bushinhs,etc. As a general rule of thumb ih combines are better in corn and Deere combines are better in beans unless the beans are dry and then it's a wash. With any brand of combine, expect plenty of downtime until you learn the machine and how to work on it. If you keep the machine a while, it will get easier as the years go on

#27 ·
60 to 70K
I know that you can get a 9500/9600 893 and a 920 for about 50-55K....With those kind of acres I would find a farmer retiring and buy it from before his auction. Do NOT go and buy at an auction.
That or find a dealer and tell them your budget and what until they find one that fits the bill.

9500/9600 should be bought for around 30K and except to invest 7500 it to recondition and don't pay over 5K for the platform. used platform will always have something that needs to done. 15K for a old 893 or maybe even a 843 in decent. Stay away from the knife rolls they don't last and will break the bank at replacement time. i would go with pixall rolls or standard flutes.

Be firm with the dealer and don't let them stretch your budget. Just remember besides the payments you are looking at an average of 2500 to 3000 in parts and oil and etc every year.

#33 ·
Oh i've seen enough $2300 930s to know that they are bad news. 9 out of 10 of them need so much work that you will spend more on just parts, never mind labor, than it costs to buy a nicer, low acre head. If you don't know what to look for when buying, bring someone who does.

#32 ·
A cx machine will chop up the straw more than a 9600, the cx will have more capacity. If you are looking to bale straw, you can't beat the deere, more capacity go with a cx, reliability, I'm not sure about the cx, but I like the deere reliability and parts availibility(yes they do break down:D).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.