The Combine Forum banner

Looking to go Red after being Green for ever

5K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  WHY NOT 
#1 ·
New to the forum. I've ran JD combines for years, currently have 2 '08 9770's with 31XX and 35XX sep hrs. Looking at a 2010 8120. Will keep our headers, 1293 corn, 612C converted to row crop(ARRO), and 936D drapers. Our farm is going to be 5% wheat, 65% corn(some going HMC, most dry), and 30% milo.
Everything else is green on the farm and I like it that way. Like the tractors, sprayer, planters, headers. I currently run Trimble Ag software, both desktop and web based. JD Link works well with Trimble and I've heard that case is the same way.

We tested out an 8250(new) in corn. Yes, very nice and in about 10-15 yrs I can afford one.lol Very simple looking machines, I just don't know how difficult they are to work on. I know how to replace just about everything on a JD, BTDT.

Asking you all if I should make the plunge and go in the Red, ;) , or stay green. If going green I've located 2 9770's with much less hrs, the 670's are fine but I'd want to get into '16 or after and can't afford that at this time.

I could also run one 9770 and one 8120. Just curious about your opinion.

Thank You all for your help! I'm located in w. KS.

LTF

See less See more
#4 ·
Have run green
Running red now

Since most crop is corn, stay green

Red wears out very fast in high flow areas
They are paper thin in spots where it should be 5-6mm thick

They are very simple and easy to Work on
Parts mostly comparable to other brands

Cab is great
Internal chopper is garbage
Beaters fail on their shaft
Nice feeder house

Are you flat terrain?
Self Levelling sieve box is a bonus

#8 ·
Thank you all for your help! I am on flat ground so self leveling won't help. HMC is hard on anything and if it's thin, it'll have holes soon. I'll stick with JD. Was thinking about Case due to a neighbor and I'd seen how simple they looked. We know JD well enough we can go through a season with little to no breakdowns. Helps having our own shop.

Thanks again and I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving!

LTF

#9 ·
Other thing you have to look at is dealer support, also if you are thinking you can replace the 9770’s with one 8xxx and do the same work think again, you will probably get around 1.3 to 1.5 and you would have to adapt all your headers for the red machine which can be quite expensive.

#11 ·
If you ever spend much time unplugging the rotor on the green machine you will love the red one. For me, plugging is a green/damp soybean thing, so not an issue for you. Milo should be killed with roundoup anyway, so that is not an issue either. I run green tractor/planter and red combine. Little overlap between the two so no benefit to same color.

#12 ·
Yes, only one guy running 9770 plugged the rotor...he didn't last long here. Have never killed milo with R-Up and probably never will, have not heard of anyone doing that out here either. A freeze will get it and if not it's never been an issue. Not many beans out here, not in our foreseeable future.

I also won't be replacing one combine to cut as much as two. Just was curious about people who've gone from green to red or visa versa. Probably going to stay green with two lower hour 9770's.

#13 ·
We switched to Red 3 seasons ago now, but from silver. I will say the red one is easy to learn how to work on and a simple machine. Best thing you can do if you have a good red dealer close and they have a good used one there is get one out there that you would look at and run it right next to your current deere's and see how it does. I would suggest at least a 30 series as a lot of the upgrades from the 20's are nice. They all have their goods and bads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.