The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 2013 Case 500, triples and single 57gpm pump. Any tips / watch outs for that tractor ? We have a stx 450 and it’s been good (qsx15 powered) pulling 62 shanks with paired row openers on our drill. Could we pull 70 shanks with the 500 (Iveco 12.9L powered)? Tractor has one nose weight no wheel weights. Could we add a second hyd pump?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Yes you can add a second pump. Not sure of the cost but I know a couple guys who have done it.
The hp is easily bumped up if you need and I’d delete the def before you use it. (The def and hp can be done together)

·
Registered
177 Posts
You can add a second pump but they can be pricey the last one I looked at was around $10,000 parts and labor, the tractor had a PTO. If there is no PTO it is significantly more because a PTO housing has to be installed due to the second pump being mounted to it I wouldn’t be surprised if it was around $15,000 for that.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If able hook it up to a cart fan and see if the fan RPM is consistent. That vintage had a spool issue that caused the fan to fluctuate 700-1000 rpm in some tractors but if it was used on a drill I would think that would be taken care of by now. It’s not too bad to fix typically just replace the spool in the hydraulic bank your going to use for the fan and recalibrate however it would be nice to have it right before your in the field. Triples can be rough in the field. Check the exhaust manifold between 1&2 for cracks. Overall these have been reliable tractors you will probably need to run higher rpm then your qsx as they are a little sluggish at lower rpm compared to a Cummins but they have been good engines. Make sure the wheel seals are dry, not many go out but when they do it is a job to change them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can add a second pump but they can be pricey the last one I looked at was around $10,000 parts and labor, the tractor had a PTO. If there is no PTO it is significantly more because a PTO housing has to be installed due to the second pump being mounted to it I wouldn’t be surprised if it was around $15,000 for that.
Thanks !

·
Registered
648 Posts
I would look into parts availability for the second pump. When I bought my 2012 500 a couple years ago, there was limited stock. I was told I bought the last kit available.
I haven't installed it yet but I plan to this winter. Sounds like it's a 40 hour job and the cab likely has to come off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts