The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking to upgrade to tr97 and was wondering what are some things to look for other than the bubble-up tube and auger.
Anyone know of somewhere that the 97 is prone to wear out or any other issues that I should be aware of. I only run corn and soybeans.

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
There's that humped plate under the rotor flighting that seems to wear right under the rotors for me. The feedhouse wears on these machines, as well as the rotor covers. Of course, with just corn and soybeans you can have some pretty big holes and nothing will fall through!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That humped area you refer to??? Would that area be right where the material enters the rotors? If so- how would someone check that area without pulling the feederhouse? There are a lot of things to be checking on a used machine and so far the ones I've looked at on a dealers lots have not had much done to them--even the ones that are supposedly -through the shop.
Thanks for the help on the areas to check.

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
You will have to drop the stone door. The feeder has to be near the ground, then you can pop the door (there is a little latch that has to be lifted and the lever can be used to lower the door). Then there is a pin on a cable that attaches the door to the axle so when you lift the feeder the door closes. You might want to take it out, but you might not need to. Once you get your head inside, look toward the rotors and right under the inlet augers is where we see the majority of wear. If they are worn right through, you can probably see them from the bottom right near where the feedhouse and the main from come together.

If you go into NH parts, then TR97, section 11, fig 10A02 and the part I refer to is #1 on the list.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Look on the bottom of the return and clean grain augers inside where the grain dumps into the elevator there could be holes and check the unloading auger and bottom of grain tank where the grain starts to go up the auger. These machines will probably have a quite a few hours on the by now so alot of this stuff should be fixed already. My NH sales man tells me that the TR97 in his opinion was the best TR ever made good luck and have fun shopping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure how much fun I'm having shopping for a combine but it helps when you have an idea where to look for wear. I think I've located the combine for me. It did need a bubble-up tube, cross-auger in tank, and flighting on the two universal joint pieces that push grain into unload auger. Since all of those augers were worn pretty bad I plan on refighting unload auger too. I might try the poly add on flighting. Anybody had any experience with that stuff. It isn't cheap but it is supposed to wear better than steel.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What year of 97? If replacing the bubbleup auger and tube you should update to the later TR98 version with the heavy gearbox and the reverse flighting if it has not already been done. Much better setup. The later 97's had the heavy feederhouse drive and clutch which is also a significant improvement. If you are seeing significant wear to the cross augers, I would want to check to see if the rotor covers are quite warn. Quite expensive to replace, both from a labor and parts price perspective. A good welder can also do a lot of repairing and building up of the warn sections to extend the life of these parts dramatically. I use the poly flighting on the bubbleup auger for edible beans and it is a significant improvement for not gumming up under sticky conditions. If having to reflight augers, you might consider the hopper liner to go under the hopper cross auger.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I bought a combine the other day. It's a 1995 tr 97. It has a genesis motor in it and also is equipped with a maurer bin extension, a vittetoe spreader, and the newer style chopper. Also has the improved bubble-up gearbox and drive. It's a long ways from a new one but I think it looks pretty sound. It is in the shop now and they are fixing the augers and giving it the once over. Hopefully they will not find too much wrong with it but I want them to look it over before it leaves the shop. I wish it wasn't so far from home so I could help look it over and be there to decide what needs replacing bu if they get the big stuff I can always work on it next summer.
Thanks to all who helped with info about what to look for. This will probably be my last combine as I plan on retiring in 4-5 years. I hope this combine works well for me. It is quite a bit larger than the tr75 it will be replacing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts