The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a winter with three separate storms with winds in excess of 100kph enough moisture blew into the my N blend bins that we’re having to chisel and hand scoop out the entire amount from the bottom. Just got done with the first 100T bin and have 2 more to go. I was worried about this and here we are. How’re guys preventing this from happening? Any good tools to use on the bottom to try and break things up? I’ve got some rebar and half length marker sticks going now. We put 4-5 bags kitty litter in bottom and after bin is full anther 5 on the top. Then line bin lid frame with the litter bags to act as a seal. One of the storms ripped lid off my 3907 bin and there are no bags left lining any of the fert bins so it’s same to assume they were blown wide open and filled with snow. Blend is 29-7-7-7.

·
Registered
675 Posts
10 years ago I had a 5000 bu bin full of leftover 46-0-0 turn into concrete over winter. I took a jackhammer, cut off the sharp tip and welded a small foot onto the end of one of the bits. Then found an old turf tire lying around behind the shop, stuck it over the little foot so it wasn't metal on metal then just held that against the cone of the bin and let her rip.

Its like hitting it with a sledge hammer but like 1000x speed and doesn't **** the bin up too badly because the tire is there inbetween.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
As I’m having my coffee just remembered that we’re going into the blend today for the first time...../sigh. Maybe I’ll get lucky

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Gettting Fert two weeks before seeding is the best!!!!

First bin is fine so far can’t remember if it came in March or Jan

Reactions: RunninREDharD

·
Registered
305 Posts
We use floor dry and then duct tape the empty plastic bag across the top auger hole of the bin and then close the lid down over it.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
We’re still using kitty litter but sounds like floor dry works better, we also close top lid with a piece of plastic in between.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Change your rope on the lids to hold the lid closed once you fill them. Stops the wind from opening them when full of fertilizer. Sometimes I can just flip the rope around to hold the lid closed, but usually I have to climb up to and move it manually.

·
Registered
892 Posts
What kind of bins are you guys having lid trouble with? Have been using Meridian for 15plus years and good luck getting wind to flap those lids. I agree they don’t seal exactly but there made to breathe so bin doesn’t condensate inside with temperature swings.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I’ve had zero luck with kitty litter or floor dry or the years. Lately I’ve been putting 2 ft of straight pho’s in the bottom of the hopper and put a layer of pho’s on the top. At least with pho’s it doesn’t get super hard and you can get the bin flowing

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Get the ams out of the blend.
I would like to get the AMS and out of the blend but would have to find another way of getting my S on. I did a field trial years ago and there was a distinct difference in crop health and yield where I put this blend out over straight urea. Might have to try and get into the program of spreading tiger 90 or the like every 4 years.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,807 Posts
LTO I would seriously look at a 12V or 240Volt hopper vibrator from the mining / quarrying industry. They work a treat on hoppers with sticky gypsum or cement powder. I have even used them on JD STS grain tanks to encourage fluffy product to collapse onto the cross augers.

it may just break up your tight fert...............

Reactions: NVW

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I would like to get the AMS and out of the blend but would have to find another way of getting my S on. I did a field trial years ago and there was a distinct difference in crop health and yield where I put this blend out over straight urea. Might have to try and get into the program of spreading tiger 90 or the like every 4 years.
Spreading elemental S like you said is a good option. Cheaper form of S it pays for the spreading. Or can spread ams also, but that would probably have to be more often.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you mix some 44-0-0 in with your blend that helps it a lot and also if you get fertilizer in the fall have it oiled and it will help prevent the cement issues

·
Registered
4 Posts
44-0-0 is ESN. For some reason it really helps with the fertilizer not attract moisture and keeps it from becoming cement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
And you don't need lots of 44-0-0 in the blend to make it help. Usually about 20% of the blend with 44-0-0 will help prevent problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts