The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an07 7010 with 800 hours that has lost power.I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing.It was running fine and like someone turned a switch it lost engine power,changed fuel filters,no change.It will run 2100rpm with no load when you push the hydro forward it will die to 1700rpm and won't come back.No smoke,will max out at 59% engine load,no errors,no boost leaks,90# fuel pressure,Case changed ecm module,ran 2 rounds with power and then back to the same thing .so far Case hasn't came up with anything else.Please help

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Hi,
Did you pull your fuel line off at the connection just below the tank. We had the same thing with an 8010 and pull the fuel line off and hardly any fuel, seemed to compensate until you worked it. If its plugged the fuel with drip out if not it will pour out.
Later

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
maybe case still hasn't figured to clean the shavings out of the plastic tanks when they drill and thread the holes. They are famous for plugging filters and sometimes even the inlet hole at the bottom of the tank. Might be something to try.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Our 2388 did the same thing last fall. We changed everything too. What it turned out to be was that the precleaner for the airfilter was plugged. I don't know the layout of the 7010, but that is what it was on ours.

·
Registered
809 Posts
No smoke..........sounds like a fuel problem, but then I'm a farmer not a mechanic.

I can't think of any sensor or monitor that would be limiting your fuel/power without an error code.

I think most problems with the engine would send up an error code/alarm.

If the machine sets overnight will it run okay for a little while?

A guess would be a fuel line or the fuel tank, remember that when you're pushing the combine you could be going thru 20 gal/hr.

If you look in the pro 600 monitor how many gal/hr does it max out at when it runs out of power? Maybe you're from down under, are you liter/hr?

·
Registered
929 Posts
The only time I had a power problem with our 7010 was when we plugged that little baffle between the air intake rotary screen and the air cleaner. But when it did this it would beep at us on the monitor and tell us we had an "air restriction." Otherwise we got along great with our machine.

Sorry to hear your having trouble, and good luck getting it resolved!

·
Registered
120 Posts
The 7010 has a wastegate on the turbocharger. Make sure that is not sticking.

I'd like you to write down some information from the display at three different times:
First time at low idle
Second time at high idle
Third time with hydro pushed forward.
Once you reach each point, wait a few seconds for the readings to stabilize.
These parameters can be seen under MAIN>>Combine Info>>Engine.
Here is the data I'd like to see for each point:
Engine speed:
Engine load
Engine Oil Pres
Engine Oil Temp
Coolant Temp
Boost Pressure
Boost Air Temp
Fuel Temp
Atmosphere Pres
Air Filter
Fuel Rate
Also, attach a manual pressure gauge to the air inlet on the engine. What does that gage read at each point?

What % of biodiesel are you using?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Case thought it was the manifold boost sensor.Got one from another machine with no change.Last 2388 we learned about the air intake honeycomb,it is clean.Ran this morning for 10 minutes with power then no power.Ran for 4 hours no power,changed boost sensor and it ran for about 5 minutes then back to no power.Running regular diesel Same fuel in tank that ran good for 1 day before.Mechanic checked harness and it is full of bean dust but doesn't change anything after moving wires.It will run 80% load the short times it has power.

·
Registered
809 Posts
A long shot....we had a wire (or harness) over the alternator pulley that dropped down and was shorting out, this was a couple of years ago.....it could have been the wire that went to the manifold boost sensor, I kind of remember it limiting our power intermittently.

My other guess is to pull the hose off the fuel tank and see how many gal/hr you get out of the tank.

Where you at and what are you harvesting?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dealer came and reprogrammed the ECU, then ran full power, So went do a few rounds with the lab top hocked up. He was goes going through all the different readings while I was running. Came to the end of the fourth pass and it lost power. Turned the next pass 1.3 mph was max. Only thing different that changed on the lab top was the boost pres. dropped, 59% max engine load , no smoke. Lab top showed no errors. All other pressures, temps were normal.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Quote: Dealer came and reprogrammed the ECU, then ran full power, So went do a few rounds with the lab top hocked up. He was goes going through all the different readings while I was running. Came to the end of the fourth pass and it lost power. Turned the next pass 1.3 mph was max. Only thing different that changed on the lab top was the boost pres. dropped, 59% max engine load , no smoke. Lab top showed no errors. All other pressures, temps were normal.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but simply saying that something was "normal" doesn't help. I need to know the numbers that are shown in the display to even start to trouble shoot.
Put yourself in my shoes:
I'm hundreds of miles away, possibly thousands. I'm behind a computer. I can't see, hear, smell, or touch your machine. You have to be my senses. Sight can be deceiving, smells, sounds, and feels are subjective. What you call a squeal, I might call a whine. What smells to you like burnt rubber, may smell like burnt hydraulic fluid to me. The only thing that is the same from you to me is the numbers. Hence I need data.
What is 'normal' for your machine may not be 'normal' for my machine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Engine speed idle 1000
high idle 2100
Engine load idle 24
high idle 36
engine oil temp 176
coolant temp 186
Boost press under load 45-55 full power
under load 33 no power
boost air temp 64
Fuel temp 84
Atmosphere press 14 never changes
Fuel rate idle 1.4
high idle 5.6
under load 14-19 with power
under load 9.6 no power
These are from memory. Dealer changed water temp, boost press, oil temp, wiring harness to injectors. Combine ran with power for 5 min, then ran with no power for ten min, ran injector test on computer then sat at idle for 5-10 min then ran with power, tried to run some corn but ground to wet to run. Now I have to wait for a good freeze to find out if it will run or not.

·
Super Moderator
4,006 Posts
I'm a tad lost here.
Are we talking 2 different units here or same one?
Maybe better if it's 2, more heads and all that.
Either way, dam frustrating.
Good luck!

Don

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, or a CaseIH guru... but maybe try this:

1. Unhook your fuel line at the filter, and take the fuel tank cap off. Use an air-compressor, and blow into the end at the filters, with a max. pressure of 60psi.

Put the line & cap back on, and see if your power magically returns

-Christian

·
Registered
809 Posts
It did get kind of confusing around here, 2 guys having the same problem with their 7010's or is this the same combine? Sounds like the same combine to me.

Anyway, does your dealer have a clue what is limiting your boost pressure? Sounds like more of a operating temperature situation to me now, and not a fuel deal, also sounds like a safety measure is kicking in. I don't know why you're not getting some kind of a fault code though.

Did the problems start after your dealer reprogramed the EMU?, If it did, can your dealer reload your EMU with the program that was in it before all your problems? Maybe the software (or is it firmware) they loaded in was never tested in cold weather.

What kind of conditions are you guys (farm20 and max88) running in? Are you running in cold weather?

I wouldn't wait because of the weather to get this thing figured out. You can run the thing up and down the road, it still needs power to do that. Mother CIH isn't that busy this time of the year, tell the dealer to call in help or get a number to call, where you at? I'm sure there's somebody on here with the magic phone number for more help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was with dealer yesterday changing all of the sensors. We also swapped the wiring harness going from some of the sensors to the ecu up the injectors, that did nothing. Also checked rocker clearance and looked over springs and other components,found nothing. Also manually put 50 lb of pressure to the boost pressure gage, combine sputtered a little bit then wouldn't throttle up the whole way. With every thing installed correctly and combine with no power the fuel pressure in the rail was just shy of 1200,and a pressure gage at fuel pump was running around 90 lb all under load (59%). After all this the dealer ran injector test shutting down each of the injectors individually, which found out nothing. While he was on the phone I got bored of going through computer so I throttled up and It took off with full power. All in all came up with nothing. OH an sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sounds like your dealer is really trying. Got to be tough knowing how productive the machine can be and now how it's behaving. Do they have any other 7010's out?

Looked at your monitor numbers up above again, you think there's no power because of no boost or is your boost limited by lack of fuel?

I'll ask the wizzard at my local dealership tomorrow if he has any ideas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think something is not telling the computer to send more fuel.Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't.Case suggested cleaning the wiring harness out,but the days we have had problems it was sunny and dry.the mechanic did clean most of the harness around the motor.They have one other 7010 out.The dealer is three hours away too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts