The Combine Forum banner

Low reverser oil 97 9600

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  cliffcutter 
#1 ·
We have been having to add about a pint of oil to our reverser on our 1997 9600 with oil cooler everyday and it kind of a pain. We can't seem to see where it is leaking. Everything is clean. Is this common or is there a common spot they leak? Thanks

#2 ·
Mine is a little later model than that, but it leaks on the backside, where the right hand shaft comes out to drive the header auger.

On edit: I am repairing mine right now. It is leaking behind the inside sheave. The dirt is absorbing the oil, so it doesn't make a mess. I think the problem is the vent plugged up.

#5 ·
I would recommend fixing the leak to prevent further problems. That is if it hasn't gone to far already. On our 9650 STS we had a problem with the light duty reverser wo/ oil cooler that came on our newly purchased used machine that would have cost us $3800 to fix but this also included a new 1 piece shaft since ours was worn. And we hadn't even used it yet. Used combines can be full of expensive surprises.
So we just upgraded to the heavy duty drive w/ oil cooler and 2 piece shaft for roughly twice that amount. So far the oil in it looks clear when we changed it and the oil sample test came back good.

Btw the partsman at the local green dealer told me he once sold 14 new reverser gearboxes in 1 day. That item is very unforgiving of neglect or abuse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.