The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 1982 Gleaner M2 for the last 2 to 3 years has been getting slower and slower and I am looking for a little advice on where to start. It has a Dynapower Hydro transmission. When the rear wheel assist is engaged the combine goes even slower. Did not know if it could be the hydraulic pump or the transmission? The hydraulic pump was installed (not new) about 4 to 5 years ago from a salvage yard. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Probably no help at all, but i have an 82 L2 with RWA, and when you flick the switch, it's part of the design for them to slow down. Often i'll use the RWA as a type of hi-lo switch to slow the speed down and be able to keep the stick forward into the 3/4 to flat range (recommended for keeping the oil cool and prolonging the hydro apparently)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Is that true about the 3/4 to flat out thing? Sounds like it might be but you are controlling the pump motor stroke so it is actually pumping more oil so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. It has always slowed down a little when engaging the RWA, however the combine is slowing down from just a few years ago. We just do not know whether the pump might be getting weak or the hydro needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Either way it is not a extremely cheap fix and was looking for some guidance to start with. Now when roading the combine it does not pull the hills as it has in the past. We are starting to get things together to start working on equipment to go into the field in a month or two.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Be absolutely sure the drive belt to the hydro is TIGHT !!!..you should be able to get at least a nickel in-between the coils on the tension spring. Maybe disconnect the two big hoses (and plug them) going to the RWA and be sure turn over the RWA disconnect plates and then see if it acts the same without the RWA. Could be worn motors in the RWA causing the performance issue. If it's got more than 3000 hrs on it, probably time for a rebuild of the hydro itself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If it gets even slower when full and all belts are tight then you probably have a bad hydro. I had a M3 that did the same thing replaced hydro and no more problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drallis and posum thanks for the info, we kind of thought the hydro was the culprit but it never hurts to have a little help. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts