The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone cutting peas successfully with Macdon 960 header. Reason for asking was dealing on honeybee header for gleaner r62 and a 960 Macdon was traded in in nice shape. Honeybee is a 2003 Macdon a 1998 but half price. Any opinions would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Used to run a 962 in peas. Worked ok, but would of been a lot better with the hyd tilt option that the new header we traded on has (FD70). If you have that and a hyd/fore aft on the reels, you should be able to do an ok job with a macdon (hopefully the peas are still standing ok). I have no experience with the honeybee, but the newer model may have some improvements over a 960. The 962 addressed some of the issues of the 960 such as wobble box etc.

·
Super Moderator
4,681 Posts
The feed auger sticks out forward of back panels and can tend to obstruct flow on a 960 in a fluffy crop like peas.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Don is correct....if you push it will plug there...we ran 30 foot at 3 to 3.5 mph in decent peas....we have a honeybee now and should hit peas in a couple weeks with it...here's hoping

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
We've never had our 36ft 960 in peas but it has split lock washers pushed onto the flighting on the feed auger. They help it bite the fluffy stuff and make it feed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
CR Toney I would like to talk to you if possible with regards to split lock washers. I'm having problems with my 972 macdon. Just wondering how to get hold of you?
Ray

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tci go with the honeybee, you need the retractable finger feed drum to squish the fluffy peas so that feeder chain will accept the material, the 960 always piles up on center canvas, I have and run both...the honeybee is twice the header and you can keep combine full which is so important in peas so that you are not cracking

1 - 9 of 9 Posts