The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
25' macdon 972, overall very happy with header, but occasionally the crop will hang up on the right hand side of the cutter bar. mostly does it in heavy canola, and it won't cut the plant and then pulls it out by the root and then its plugged.

never an issue on drive side, and wondering if anyone else has had an issue or if there is a solution?

the end guard has no top on it and the end sickle is smooth, its the half width sickle. has anyone tried a different guard there or different sickle?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
DANECO is right in taking off the deflectors assuming it has them as MacDon lists that as one of the suggestions in a help guide manual for swathing canola. The other thing that MacDon has and possibly your reel has them but its a kit that can be purchased that adds a finger in there near the drive end to help clear the knife. Make sure your knife is running true at the end, that its not twisted or anything that could cause reduced cutting performance and if the guards are worn near that end to create more slop up and down for the knife, it won't hurt to replace them ether and yes knife sections in good shape etc.

·
Registered
160 Posts
We have switched the the coarse knives which has helped as well with the end plugging issue. On our first swather we took off that smooth 1/2 knife and cut a normal one in half and put it on which helped too.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
That is one thing on our 972 head I do not understand, is why the end 1/2 sickle is smooth and not serrated like the others. I was always under the impression a sharp sickle will cut better than a dull one....maybe I have been mislead all these years growing up....lol. If the manufacturer's can make a dull 1/2 sickle, couldn't they make a 1/2 serrated sharp sickle, instead, which could only cut about 1000 times better....especially on the ends where you really need it!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I've wondered that too about that funky half knife section but figured they must plan on it being used as a guide and not for cutting anyway. I may have to rethink that given what CM's experience has been and I would probably use a die grinder with a cut off wheel to make a nice cut and not loose any temper out of the hardened section.

·
Registered
803 Posts
thanks for the response guys. going to try a different sickle on the end.

Let us know if that solves your problem. I had the very same problem on the D-60 head, like you said just on the non drive end. I ended up closing that opening up with metal so that no plant material could get caught up in there and start bunching. If you end up going this route take your time and get it sealed as tight as possible, as my first attempt was not perfect and even some very small openings were still enough to snag a canola stem and cause grief.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 25 ft 972, after I open up a field and start back and forth, if canola hangs up on the right side, I go to the far end of the field and swath from where you would usually finish and work my way back. Some years the lean and height of the canola makes it a pain to cut but go to the far end of the field and it will cut like a dream. I've not thought about removing the deflectors but do have the stub guard on both ends.

·
Registered
45 Posts
ours does the same thing it depends on how the canola is laying too. we put rotoshears on and havent had any grief since but that was a more expensive solution there is a plate under the end of your knife that is part of the header not the knife but it is held in place with a bolt and it can slide away from the last guard and crop can get stuck in the small gap that is created. mine usually did that on the drive side tho

·
Registered
665 Posts
Had the same problem and finally got it figured out this year, above the sickle and guard on passenger side took a piece of steel and closed the hole off. The steel sits flush with top of the guard, able to go faster with the passenger side against the crop now then I am with driver side. Going to take swather home and try and close off driver side also.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I see in the operators manual that there is an optional plate that you can get from Macdon to close off those openings by the knife ends, this is in the D 65 manual. I see on the header there is already holes there with nuts welded on the back side to accept this plate. Not sure if there would be something like this for 972.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.