The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my FD 70 the side drapers are very very very slow.. They will not start turning until the combine is wide open. They are very jerky, and doesn't take much to stop them. The dealer keeps saying its my center draper motor, but thats the only belt that accually runs the way it should. I have put new motors, tore that stupid block apart looking for junk and found nothing. The block and hoses get hot quickly, if I turn that knob in it doesn't change anything until you turn it all the way in. Will it all the way out I can hear a whinning noise. I know its not something to do with belts being plugged, I took the belts out and no change. Could it be one of the pressure releifs stuck?? I'm really out of ideas...

I'm just about to the point of trading this POS off, my go to is a Honey Bee Air Flex, but.... the area rep said my 8010 will not run it.. He said the Head Height control system will not get a long with the Honey Bee system.. Any thoughts on this?? Thanks guys

·
Registered
647 Posts
Had same issue with our swather. Your belt is hitting somewhere we had a bolt run loose and the belt was rubbing along the back side, tightened the bolt and it fixed the problem, could also be a relieve valve thats buggered up, seen that too.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Our fd75,s did the same thing. Is it cold outside? One of the decals on our 75,s says “if the outside temperature is below 10deg C then run the header at an idle for 5 minutes “. I will assume this idling is not happening, it didn’t on our headers, hence our problems. It’s the pressure relief valves, you probably need new ones, we did. The mechanic came out and adjusted the relief valve so we could finish. I don’t think flexheads were meant to run in the cold...lol.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
windmillfarms, I know its not a belt, I took the belts out..

Coolio, yes its cold out. And believe it or not, I let the header sit and idle for at lest 10 minutes before I take off for the day.. I just put something on the seat and use the time to grease the 10,000 zerks on the Soucy tracks. Do you remember what pressure relief valves you had to replace? My dealer keeps just deadheading to I need to put the center draper motor in and everything will work

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
If you can not get it working then call Macdon product support at 204-831-4422. They have always been very helpful over the phone solving funny issues like this. Once you figure out the solution let us know what corrected it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Southern Sk, I was hoping someone would have a number to MacDon, I love the head, but days like today make it a missable pos.. I will let you know what they say and what fixes it

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
The hydraulic block is behind a metal shield on the header,above the pto gearbox. Not exactly sure which one he turned in, but call the macdon product support, they can help. It was our new holland dealership mechanic that helped us. We didn’t get the relief valves replaced yet, just turned in so more resistance to flow before the relief valve opens. Obviously with the higher relief pressure, there is an element of risk damaging the hydraulic pump, but we took that risk to finish combining with the headers.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see, if you are meaning the valves with the alan wrench head, I already tried turning them all the way it, The last guy that owned my head threw that shield away, or maybe the ex wife got it in the divorce haha. I pulled all the valves, well pretty much anything that would turn with a cresent wrench out.. They all seemed very easy to push in.. So I'm wondering if thats what the problem is. I can't believe its the pump, being everything else runs the way it should..

·
Registered
227 Posts
Change the side Draper relief valve. It was around $350 CAD so $200 for you. Takes all of a 5 minutes to change. There’s a thread from back in August on this same issue and I think I posted a diagram on where relief valve is. Fixed my issues instantly.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not sure if mine is a Rexroth, but the valves with the alan wrench heads are both on the RH side, along with the large pressure relief valve. Its an 07 if that helps

·
Registered
377 Posts
Could be a bunch of things. If you have a fd70 you have a Parker block. The rexroth came with the 75.

The flow valve handle all the way in shuts off flow. Turning it all the way out you hear squealing which is the oil bypassing through the relief. So if your center is turning strong it's probably not the center draper motor or its relief.

If your draper channel is totally clean and it's not catching anything, try turning in the V5 relief 1 turn. It's on the RH side of the block behind the cover. Top one of the 3 that are there I think.

Do the drive rollers turn easily without belts on? You could have a bad bearing on a roller. Could also be that if you have double rib belts and you have the draper track adjusted tight there is too much drag with cold belts they won't go around and it just kicks the reliefs out. Or even a bit of frozen dirt. They are a bitch to get going in the cold.

The way the oil flows it goes center (relief) left side- right side-(relief) tank. So if your center is jammed neither sides turn. If your left side is jammed the right won't turn.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so talked with MacDon today.. did some testing. Found nothing, so I threw everything back together. Head ran crappy for the first 2 hours, then never skipped a beat the rest of the day.. So have no idea what is this heads problem.. But hey, if it works the rest of harvest I will be happy

·
Registered
14 Posts
So, my FD 70 the side drapers are very very very slow.. They will not start turning until the combine is wide open. They are very jerky, and doesn't take much to stop them. The dealer keeps saying its my center draper motor, but thats the only belt that accually runs the way it should. I have put new motors, tore that stupid block apart looking for junk and found nothing. The block and hoses get hot quickly, if I turn that knob in it doesn't change anything until you turn it all the way in. Will it all the way out I can hear a whinning noise. I know its not something to do with belts being plugged, I took the belts out and no change. Could it be one of the pressure releifs stuck?? I'm really out of ideas...

I'm just about to the point of trading this POS off, my go to is a Honey Bee Air Flex, but.... the area rep said my 8010 will not run it.. He said the Head Height control system will not get a long with the Honey Bee system.. Any thoughts on this?? Thanks guys
It sounds very much to me like there is a tiny shard of metal in one of those valves. We have had that a lot, basically whenever one of the side mat motors or cross auger motor fails. I know you have looked in there already, but sometimes the tiniest fragments of steel prevent one of the poppets from seating properly and they can be easily missed. You need a magnifying glass to see them. Before you reassemble, a magnetic pickup tool is ideal for cleaning out the ports. There is a return filter that is supposed to stop this from happening, but metal fragments can actually drop into the return port from the valve block before they get to the filter.

Hope you get it sorted soon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts