The Combine Forum banner

MacDon FD70 canola feeding issues

Tags
fd70 macdon
3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  KS5 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 40’ FD70, I’m having trouble when running with the sprayer tracks and their farther out on the wings, (usually the left hand side) it likes to flip the material that is coming in from the farthest side up and over the reel once it hits the sprayer tracks. My only workaround is to try to go across rather than with or get the tracks closer to the Centre but sometimes you just can’t. Would replacing all of the reel teeth help or even adding a sixth reel? I think I have the reel tilted to the gentlest setting for the canola.

As a side note with this years super tall Canola, I had trouble with the feeder drum pulling it in mostly headed West, the solution I found was to add a 4”wide piece of baler belting to the two foot Centre sections of the cross auger after the flighting ended and turns into the 2”paddles using the factory ones for support

#2 ·
i think youve already got the reel cam on #1, so then it would just be running your reel as far up, back, and slow as possible. After that its trying different headings, or running the header with more tilt so it cant go over the back as easy, but that may cut your rtd capacity. I dont see how new teeth would make it flip less.

#4 ·
What combine is it on?

I think the FD70 has the same two settings auger finger position available like current model does, center auger feeding in the long straw would be aided by running fingers in the advanced position, that is opposite to factory setting.
Put mine there a couple of seasons ago and see no reason to change it back, it feeds better in all conditions and crops come across so far.

#9 · (Edited)
Same can be said for a tall, fluffy stand of peas on our FD75 vs FD1. I can’t see a visual difference between heads (except more fingers on reel and drum drive chain tensioner) but FD75 would have to stop 5x per 1/2 mile pass to unplug head whereas the FD1 didn’t stop once all harvest. Changed relief valve for center draper on the 75 but didn’t make any difference. Is hydro system for the center just stronger on the FD1 I wonder?

#6 ·
Our FD70s like to lip canola up and over. How wide of a head are you using? Have you played with the reel speed and run the real slower. We had issues this year with this when one of our pea augers was stalling out or not Turing as fast due to a bad relief valve. Once we changed the relief valve we could go a lot faster as far as travel speed,

#12 ·
Yes, you really can't beat a full fingered auger head for reliable feeding in canola! I suppose in a world where money wasn't an object, a farm would have draper for every other straight or flex cut crop, and cut the canola with an auger head if not swathing.

#19 ·
I'm thinking as long as you find something that works good for you, use it and be happy. I've never used a draper on canola but I havn't seen one take it in any faster than my auger. The only thing I'll give credit to a draper is for keeping a consistent and low cutting height.

#20 ·
Try working at 15 to 20 degrees to the seeding lines. Also have a look at a current JD header and you will see the pea augers stop at either side of the feeder house. These feed a lot better than pea augers that are joined in the middle. I haven't seen a Mac Don modified to be like a JD but if I was still farming I would be doing mine.