The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a FD70 on a 9600? My dealer says a 30ft FD70 will work fine. I am worried about the header height control system not being compatible. Further the hydraulic lift capacity of the combine might be an issue.

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
I would agree with you. I'm sure it will work as far as normal operation, but I don't think the HHC will work at all. Our 9600s would lift a MacDon 972, I have heard of some guys lifting 36fts but have not seen it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I talked to a MacDon representative last summer about putting a 30 ft FD70 on our 9510. He said that he wouldn't recommend putting the FD70s on anything older than 50 serious because of the HHS.
I would think you could do the same update as would be required to put a 600 series hydraflex on the 9600 though.
However, my disclaimer is I have no personal experience on this, just what that representative at a farm show said.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
We have a 9610 with a 36' HB. It lifts reeeaaal slow, but it will lift it if your persistant with holding the button. A few light jerks on the hydro gives the header 'less weight' and it will lift right up for road transport.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We had 9600 with 974 36' Macdon had HD cyls everything worked great and lifted with ease.I would sell the cyl. if someone wants them.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I adapted a 36ft 974 to a 9600 and the HD lift cylinders are almost a must. I put weight on the rear of the machine too because it gets very light. 30ft wouldn't be quite as bad but FD70s are heavy.
As far as the electronics, Headsight has a nice kit to update a 9600/10 to the newer height control and it's not a lot of money and easy to install. I buy it through Lankota Part# HPO-JD10-31J. You might need the feeder house hooks too. LAN 204628. Call Lankota @ 1 866 526 5682. Brady is the guy to talk to.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
We run 36ftHBs on 8820s always added a 3rd cylinder. Cylinders readily available at the wreckers and easy to weld on a bracket right beside one of the other ones. Neighbour did it with his 9600 and works 100% better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help. I am looking at either a 30ft FD70 or just a new 30ft hydroflex. Will need the update from Lankota in either case. Already have the feeder hooks as I have a 630R. Would be nice to see it and the 930R and just run one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts