The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8230 that has had both a D65 and an FD75 on it (both 40ft) and in canola and peas it plugs the center drum on the adapter constantly. When it plugs you can just slow the throttle down and the clutch usually grabs and goes and the wad is seldom if ever bad enough to plug the combine even at an idle.
I've replaced the dog clutch on the adapter that drives the drum and I've replaced the chain from the shaft to the drum the gears are all good. The center canvas gives no trouble and we've ran the canvases at all speeds between 2 and 9. We have tipped the feeder house plate forward and back and have ran the feeder from slowest to fastest. The crop isnt feeding well in any of the machines but this one is terrible to the point that it is parked right now. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
221 Posts
There is 2 clutches on them, one in the gear box and one in the drum itself. Did you loosen the drum so it can go up way higher, it’s a threaded rod with a spring underneath at each end of the drum but you won’t have the same rock protection. They work in canola but not great I cannot get over 50% capacity on my 9560 masseys.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
The clutch inside the drum has something to do with the finger mechanism. According to the parts breakdown, the sprocket is bolted directly to the drum. So the only clutch that comes into play here is inside the gearbox. Someone not that long ago on the forum replaced theirs and said it wasn't that bad of a job and made a big difference.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,763 Posts
The clutch in the drum is only to make the fingers retract and go out the backside of the drum when reversing it to grab the wad of material

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,763 Posts
Have you cut the flighting back equal to your feeder chains?

put all the fingers in the blank holes?

and put a faster sprocket on it?
It’s available from Macdon.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just replaced the one in the auger to try and fix easy plugging. Never ran it yet but the old clutch was really worn. According to my dealer if that clutch is worn enough it’ll cause the fingers to jam or point the wrong way possibly plugging it.
I never knew there was another clutch in the adapter till I came across this post so hopeful they’re right about the one I replaced.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Interesting. Yes that makes a certain sense. Keep us posted on whether that indeed fixes it.

I always keep a pdf handy of the MacDon parts catalog for my header and also for my adapter (which is where you'll find the main drum, and the bits that drive it).

In the parts diagram I copied, the clutch inside the gearbox is #25. Part number 187466 on the CA25 adapter. Could be different on the older CA20.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Talking to the parts man at Rocky they said last time they sold the clutch in the adapter gearbox was 2018 and all the other stores(40) haven’t sold one in the past year. They don’t stock it but they did stock the one for in the auger.
That’s for my particular header which has the 2011 and older style which uses different clutches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts