The Combine Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
https://www.deere.ca/en/harvesting/draper-platforms/745fd-hydraflex-draper/

Best solution is get rid of that Macdon junk and get a real flex header. You said S680 so you probably don't hate John Deere so one of these would likely fit the bill. Or an Airflex.

Headers shouldn't have to "smile" or "frown". They should follow the ground.

I would be considering getting rid of combine before parting with the FD1. Makes no sense that the FD1 is not shaving the ground. Certainly not my experience here nor the many hundreds or thousands of other MD FD owners out there. They didn’t get to #1 putting out bad products.

·
Registered
357 Posts
^
Yes, get rid of the combine because a header isn't working well. That makes a boatload of sense. I'm sure that Macdon will follow the ground much better if it's on a different brand of combine. WTF?

I'd take an AirFlex before a macdon since a macdon isn't really a flex header. But opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one.

I also hate Geringhoff corn headers which is generally an unpopular opinion. Oh well.

·
Registered
212 Posts
That 45' header might not have been the best choice to pick up crop on rolling land to begin with. I remember noticing quite a difference when I switched from 35' to 40' headers. The 40' just wasn't emotional enough to do a good job in the twisty stuff. It just didn't smile or frown enough.

·
Registered
396 Posts
^
Yes, get rid of the combine because a header isn't working well. That makes a boatload of sense. I'm sure that Macdon will follow the ground much better if it's on a different brand of combine. WTF?

I'd take an AirFlex before a macdon since a macdon isn't really a flex header. But opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one.

I also hate Geringhoff corn headers which is generally an unpopular opinion. Oh well.
It was a figure of speech...geez lighten up.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Does anyone know how to adjust this or is it even possible? id love to steal some frown and give it to the smile.

I would apply this logic to the problem.

Since it’s spring pressure that holds the end sections of the header in a generally level position. Each time you make the header wider it requires ever increasing spring pressure force at the hinges. As a consequence if the center section doesn’t also get a required increased amount of mass added in the production, eventually the combined weight of the center section and the combine’s feeder house will be unable to overcome the spring force at the header hinges to make it smile.

It all hinges on if you need a flex header or hinged one can do your expected jobs.

With a John Deere HydraFlex Draper you would likely also need the auto lateral tilt feeder house option on your combine to match the lateral movement of that Macdon.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Maybe you could fabricate some mounts on the rear of the center section to hang some ballast on it?

It shouldn’t take a great deal to make it smile. Even a couple of stacks of sidewalk blocks ratchet strapped to the top of the feeder house?

·
Registered
2 Posts
look on youtube and adjust the float like the video, and adj the wing balance, if you follow the book and the videos it should float like you want, should be able to lift up on any guard and it should take around 75 ftlbs to lift it if its set right

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
look on youtube and adjust the float like the video, and adj the wing balance, if you follow the book and the videos it should float like you want, should be able to lift up on any guard and it should take around 75 ftlbs to lift it if its set right
again its not the float, its the amount of travel, thanks

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
If you have problems call the Macdon product support. They can give a lot of help over the phone and it is a free service.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts