The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm converting my 873 adapter from Case to JD since we changed combine brands this year. I was lead to believe by a gentleman at MacDon that it was a relatively simple process and would be in the ballpark of a few grand to do.

So far we've got $7200 in parts spent and I found out today that I'm short at least 1 bundle and 4 or 5 loose parts.

Let me back track a little. We bought the JD in Oct. In Nov, I contacted MacDum, err, MacDon to find the required parts to make the conversion. I had a complete list of the parts which I then took to my dealer to order, which they did. The order was placed in Nov for Jun delivery. June comes, so did the 2 bundles of parts and a bill for $7200. Due to work I started on the conversion today. I opened the bags up. No instructions. Phoned MacDum and spoke to Service. Was promised an email. Which did come a good while later. Opened email. 3 documents totally 4 pages. 2 pages were line art drawings. I emailed back seeing if there were more comprehensive instructions. Nope, these things are sold as constructed. Apparently changing combine brands is a non-supported deal. So I start taking things apart. I remove the Case parts from the adapter and start putting on Deere. It was then I noticed I don't have all the pieces in the one line art drawing. So I start on the electric and hydraulic change over. Struggle to interpret a picture and make a bag full of hoses and wires look like the picture. Go to the neighbours to compare. Decide that I need to go see the dealer and find out whether I was short shipped parts or see if they didn't send them all home with me or if parts weren't ordered. At 3:15 my time, 4:15 in MB I walk into the dealer. It takes 15 minutes to explain where I'm at in the process and show what parts I know I'm short. A couple calls to MacDum and another email is promised. It arrives and we look at it for 15 minutes and discover I'm short 1 bundle and several loose parts. At 4:45 MB time we phone back to MacDum to get clarifications on what we have and what we need. No one in Wholegoods is there! They all left for the #[email protected]%@ weekend!

At that point, I nearly snapped. That's when the Service Manager and Partsman both told me that's about normal for MacDon. Great product, absolutely no support to the dealer or customer.

So now I've got roughly half the cost of a new adapter spent and I'm no where close to be able to put it on the new combine.

Mistakes I've made in this whole thing-
1. Gave the note with the nice gentleman's name and parts he told me to get to the parts department at the dealer. Now I don't know who to tear a new one.
2. I should have sent the parts back when I got the $7200 bill. This is way too expensive. Would be more cost effective to have sold the adapter and bought a new one.
3. Shouldn't have trusted that people at MacDon know what the heck they are talking about.
4. Shouldn't have waited until the week before harvest to get this done. But not much I can do there. I have to work around my off farm job.

My advice to anyone considering such a swap that they consider different.

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
Sorry to hear about that, but it is familiar.

A few years ago we bought a hay rake from Westward... they sent us two pallets. No instructions. No bolts, nuts, hoses, or any other hardware.

Oh yeah, and they forgot the teeth for the wheels.

Called them up, they wanted to tell us the hay rake's teeth are extra charge. I recall Mom getting angry enough to give the guy on the other end of the phone a headache - anyway, they shipped the teeth, which happened to be the wrong ones. This went back and forth for all of a haying season. Lesson learned. No Macdon/Westward/Premier/whatever they call themselves.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
wow...i won't tell you what a conversion kit from 2388-6088 cost's then...lol

i will make sure we get everything tho!!! haha

sorry to hear about your situation...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm now looking for a different adapter. If anyone has one or knows a dealer that has an 873 for 60/70 series Deere, send me a PM.

·
Registered
182 Posts
That explains a lot to me. I left a message with MacDont about 10 days ago looking for a sales rep to answer some questions. Still haven't heard from them.

Thanks for the update.

Why do we hear so much about MacDon on this sight and very little about Honeybee?

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
Have you tried Julio @ Combineworld? They have a lot of those types of things, and if they got it, Julio will know about it

You can email him at julio<at>combineworld.com (replace the <at> with @)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I have had good experience with Macdon so far. I have only really dealt with them this year, but the tech guys seem to know what they are talking about. Had some grief with parts missing on our pea auger, but they sent them on the bus from Saskatoon the next day.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
redgreen- I thought that I was having good service from them. When I phoned in Nov the guy seemed knowledgable and was nice to deal with. But he only got the order half right.

Christian- I looked at their site but all they show on there is older stuff. I want to find an 873 to make sure I have complete compatibility with what I have already.

·
Registered
720 Posts
We've had problems with Macdum before. They dont seem to inform anyone that they put out updates for things unless you ask! When we had a 5020 haybine and we broke the springs a couple time on it, then the dealer looked into and found out there was a update for them with heavier springs, Macdon i guess doesnt want to spend a cent more than they want. Good product but poor service.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Should have added to my last post-

If you're in the Prairie Provinces and know of a Case dealer that has a 60 Series adapter on the lot let me know by pm please. I figure that's my best chance to get out of my Case adapter this late in the season.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I know how you feel with Macdon. We bought a new FD70 last year and it has been the biggest piece of crap head we have ever had. Our friends at Macdon seem to always talk a good story but never can back it up. They never want to take care of warranty work and they even offered to split the cost with us on a waranty repair. That sure was nice of them. We are still having a go around with them on this and they were supposed to call me back about a week ago now, you can guess where that has gone. We can't even get any dealers in our area to get involved on waranty with these d**n heads. If any of you guys would like to talk to Allen MacDonald himself send me a pm and I can give you his home phone number, I have to say he did call us back.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i think it is more of a dealer issue than macdon. when we had any problems they where right on top of it.they even had a macdon guy come down from canada and get all the adjustments right. we traded in a 974 off jd9660 and they switched adapter to lexion in about an hour before we loaded on their header trailer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts