The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
besides a welder,torch and grinder. What would it take to put a macdon header on a 4995 deere. deere hydro drive so a hyd motor would replace the shaft drive right? on a 972 are the new one hyd drive? Dseries. explanation: have a macdon 9352/972 want a 4995 with disc head for hay and dont need two of these machines. dont want the honeybee for my green silage acres(told the macdons are better in this heavy/wet green and my old jd 21' cut like a champ with its macdon built head). need the two machines sitting side by side or detailed drawings

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks don

have used 4995 with discbine already cheap and my macdon 9352 has higher hrs (worth? with only a 25' 972) ya i seen that macdon has the new discmounted tractor. plus a new d series header would seriously modify my bank account. the new headers are worth more then my current macdon/header and combine together. to have the higher hp 4995/discbine earn its keep the macdon sould go down the road.

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts
It will probably be quite difficult to get the hyd to mesh. Honey bee uses the two big hyd lines and then has a series of diverter boxes to get the flow out to the knife/reel/canvas. Sure you could use the discbine motor to drive the pto but then whats left to run the reel/canvas? The arms on the 4995 vs the mounting points on a macdon are in very different locations, it would require alot of fabricating. Then theres always the issue of header tilt if you build your mounting points in too tight to the tractor then you won't get a flat enough angle to avoid picking up rocks/dirt.

If you have a good understanding of series hyd systems, electrical, & fabrication skills then go for it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks jason all helpful info. didnt know how the canvases reels and knife got their power on Honeybee. assumed the motor drove a series of pump/motor curcuits. the fine hyd details i would leave to a professional. the mounting points I knew were very different. I hoped to use the jd arms( new honeybee mounts under macdon header) but if a set of one off jd/macdon arms were needed then the switch from disc to swather would take longer but still worth it. The geometry of header angle would take some adjusting and fab. Any other differences or solutions to unseen problems.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
We're still talking about putting the "972" on the Deere right?

What is the rpm and direction of rotation on the disk head motor? Usually whenever one states the rotation of a shaft, it is when facing the end of the shaft. So if the MacDon head has a pto that spins "counter clockwise", and if you have a hydraulic motor that spins counter clockwise, they will not work when putting them together. You need one of each when facing the end of the shaft.

The rpm of the motor is not too awefull important as long as it is reasonably close to the MacDon pto speed as the cutter drive speed can be adjusted with pulley/belt combinations.

With the high amount of hp you have on the Deere chassis, you might take a look at some of the older Gleaner combine headers for ideas to run the draper and reel motors. They were a self contained header complete with a reservoir and pump on the header.

If the diskbine motor has as much power as it should have, even though it is not very efficient to run a fluid pump with a fluid motor, as in using the Gleaner head concept, you will have so much hp sitting idle on the Deere anyway, it should not matter in this situation if there is a little loss in efficiency. If the concept works out so well that you start taking orders for dozens of conversions, then you might come up with a more efficient means.:)

Often there is a trade off or two that has to be dealt with when mounting another manufacturers equipment on a chassis, like header positioning. "If", the 972 has to be positioned forward a bit to get the clearances you need for the arms and tires, the fluid power drive will accommodate that. The trade off there is that you may be seeing less of the cutter bar and more of the crop exit. But IMO, that would be just fine in most situations. The Deere chassis should have plenty enough counterweight to carry the MacDon even mounted a bit further forward.

If you do take on this project, is there any way you might be willing to take pictures and share them here? Please? :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the gleaner setup heads up. hope it works simplerthen that. gleaner have electric over hyd? the excess hp of jd tractor should allow alot of leway. the reel speed and lift/lower are the only hyd needs of the 972 so 4995 motor replaces the pto shaft of 9352macdon right?... does the 4995 have aux. hyds ? side note; i don't think you can see the knife on a honeybee no matter what tractor is behind it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I am embarassed to say that I cannot remember exactly, but we had a 4895 with what I am pretty sure was a 972 header. Unfortunately I don't have pics of the arms, but they picked up that header no problems, and the knife was easily visible form the cab. Performed really well actually, just wasn't wide enough to cover the ground in the end. We all loved operating it. Just sipped the fuel too with that little 4 cylinder popping away through the straight through pipe.

Machine was originally imported from North America somewhere I am pretty sure. From what I remember had an aftermarket hyd pump fitted, and pinched some flow to run reel and drapers through elctric over hydraulic flow control in cab.

Hope this helps, maybe I just confused things?

092.JPG

091.JPG

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I am embarassed to say that I cannot remember exactly, but we had a 4895 with what I am pretty sure was a 972 header. Unfortunately I don't have pics of the arms, but they picked up that header no problems, and the knife was easily visible form the cab. Performed really well actually, just wasn't wide enough to cover the ground in the end. We all loved operating it. Just sipped the fuel too with that little 4 cylinder popping away through the straight through pipe.

Machine was originally imported from North America somewhere I am pretty sure. From what I remember had an aftermarket hyd pump fitted, and pinched some flow to run reel and drapers through elctric over hydraulic flow control in cab.

Hope this helps, maybe I just confused things?

View attachment 925

View attachment 926
Did you spray with it too? I see something looking like a sprayer setup on it.

Bruce

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow

this fourm never ceases to amaze me! Someone dreams of doing something and someone else sends them a picture of it! Not a attack on "nah sayers"(?) but... never say never, especially to a farmer. Westaus you know anymore about it? need to find out if it was macdons doing or a homerig. anything else you can remember? did this mounting still allow the rollback of the header angle when lowered on to ground? any more pics? anyone else seen one or know of where one sits? Thankyou for speaking up westaus.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
talked to macdon in winnipeg just now. they did not make an adapter but had a few people question and attempt this. wonder if macdon on your island westaus, knows of a adapter? must be homegrowen. I was also wondering about the sprayer attachment!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Funny thing is we didn't know any better, thought it was a pretty standard setup. It didnt have an adapter as such. Wish I had a better photo for you. There was a hydromotor (quite large) bolted to the end of the drive shaft with a coupler. The arms of the tractor unit just slid straight into the u channel where the Macdon adaptor would normally bolt up. Maybe the arms were modifoed?

The spray line is setup on the header to apply herbicide to any surviving weeds. The nozzles on the tractor unit are just there because it was no convenient place at that position for them on the header. The sprayline is not uncommon here in WA.

As I mentioned, we purchased the unit form an importer, so it is not an Australian thing to put the 972 on the 4895. The electrohydraulic proportional valve for the draper and reel speed was located behind the access door just behind the cab as you walk in.

Wish I could be of more help.

EDIT: Just remembered a couple more things. If you had the tilt right back (it was hydraulic) and lifted the header right up it was possible for hydromotor on drive shaft to contact windscreen. Also, the header trailer had to be made quite low because there was not a lot of lift height.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts