The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
currently running a 1380 JD moco, it's time to upgrade. Looking at a MD 5020 and a JD 1600A. Yes I have ran a discbine, yes they are nice no I can't justify the cost of one for the acres we cut. Looking for info/experiences with these machines, not interested in NH or hesston. Thabks

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am pretty dedicated to green paint, but after trading our 16' 1600A off on an 18' 1475 last year I do have to ask - why not New Holland? Waaaaayyyyy more capacity than the moco's. Most of what they make may be junk but they do know how to make a haybine! I don't have any experience with the macdons, but the 1600A wasn't much of a machine.... Mechanically very reliable (ran smooth, never shook or vibrated, in the 6 years we had it, never replaced anything other than guards.....) but it really never cut hay very well, especially anything with a lot of grass in it - meadow brome in particular would wrap around those 2 small diameter delivery augers and then you were done.... even when it was working right it didn't really have a lot of capacity, heavy hay would find you down into 1st or 2nd gear pretty quick, can go at least 2mph faster on 18' with the 1475 with a lot fewer plugs.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
I agree with Brad, a macdon of that age better be nice, and the Deere has no capacity while it is reliable, Heston is middle of the road, new holland is reliable, serviceability is similar to macdon, as they both require head scratching

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our current 1380 is a 1981, the 5020 is an 05' and the deere is a 99'. My concerns are parts availability on the MD. I would think that the 1600A would still have more capacity than our current machine? They are both 14' machines.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Yes it would be vast improvement over what you have and like what was said they are very reliable, and the cutter only needs to cut as much as the baler can timely cut and some years it takes a pretty big baler for a pretty small swather

·
Registered
559 Posts
Our current 1380 is a 1981, the 5020 is an 05' and the deere is a 99'. My concerns are parts availability on the MD. I would think that the 1600A would still have more capacity than our current machine? They are both 14' machines.
Those 5020's were sold through JD's Frontier brand as well, so deere dealers can get the macdon parts for them. Just put "MDX" infront of the macdon part # in the deere system to order. Or thats how it used to be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.