The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to buy new Draper belts for my Macdon FD75, D65, & D60 headers and they’re asking me if I want square or taper cleats. Talking to Macdon today, sounds like it’s just sourced from different suppliers. There is a small price difference but the person I talked to had no knowledge whether one lasted longer or performed better than the other or not.

Does anybody have any experience or insight as to which one to go with and why?

·
Super Moderator
3,638 Posts
It was easy for me, I took the only one the dealer had and I urgently needed.
I think it’s a square edge one, big “MacDon“ insignia on several spots resulting in no cost reduction I’m sure.
But I don’t know of any differences between other ones, sorry.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Just buy the best MacDon ones. The aftermarket crap doesn’t last. And the 2020 MacDon belts sure seem heavier then anything before

·
Super Moderator
3,638 Posts
In a slightly related item, I don’t think drapers should have the front V guide belt.
When V belt tracking first started it was only on the rear, the front one is just a junk collector I think.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just buy the best MacDon ones. The aftermarket crap doesn’t last. And the 2020 MacDon belts sure seem heavier then anything before
Both the Square and the Taper are the 2 choices right from Macdon. I’m not sure if they make either or none and just get them sourced out.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I've been happy with replacement canvases from WCCO. Lots of dealers down here use them now. Draper belts are called Raptor.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here’s our Macdon Dealer price on 1 canvas for 1 side of a 30’ header:

Taper - $1256
Square - $1385

These are both right from Macdon. I’m just wondering is the square somehow better or stronger?

Really thinking about it, with most headers being bigger than my 30’ I should maybe be looking for discarded 35’ canvases where just the end has ripped making them no longer usable on a 35’.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In a slightly related item, I don’t think drapers should have the front V guide belt.
When V belt tracking first started it was only on the rear, the front one is just a junk collector I think.
I wonder if they added that so that the drapers are reversible? Maybe if the bottom gets some holes they can be turned and still use them another season or 2?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I wonder if they added that so that the drapers are reversible? Maybe if the bottom gets some holes they can be turned and still use them another season or 2?
I reversed my canvas this year. The slats were cracking at the bottom and not holding the canvas up to the cutter bar. Made the season out of it reversed. I had thoughts of the canvas screwing up right and made it a waste of time reversing. So far I’m glad I did

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Reversing the canvas works when skates are broke, if you don’t wanna break slats, take off the adjustable skid plates underneath, problem solved.

·
Super Moderator
3,638 Posts
It appears draper manufacturer is only dependent on draper size on which you have no choice.
Ref 28

Not sure why I didn’t think of looking this up earlier!
Interesting that MacDon even lists manufacturer, must be a keeping them honest deal.

·
Registered
715 Posts
It appears draper manufacturer is only dependent on draper size on which you have no choice.
Ref 28
View attachment 161304
Not sure why I didn’t think of looking this up earlier!
Interesting that MacDon even lists manufacturer, must be a keeping them honest deal.
Maybe that’s the case on new heads. But I can tell you my 3 dealers only stock WCCO replacement on all sizes of heads. We also had much better life out of Legg in past.

·
Registered
715 Posts
So here’s the simple answer. Square is Legg belting and taper is WCCO belting as per MacDon Draper part numbers in brochure

My vote would go to Legg as a better canvas.

·
Super Moderator
3,638 Posts
Maybe that’s the case on new heads. But I can tell you my 3 dealers only stock WCCO replacement on all sizes of heads. We also had much better life out of Legg in past.
Could be and anything bolded is new since last version of the parts book.
This version is an FD header and adapter and even includes changes in parts on 2021 units, it’s where I found out the hollow auger fingers and reversing clutch on the auger are gone for 21.

·
Super Moderator
3,638 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
LEGG or WCCO canvas are both good quality, doesn't matter. Just don't get non name brand, it's paper thin and doesn't hold up.

We run LEGG single guide rib canvas, with the extra thickness/high wear front edge. Comes in large rolls. Make sure you buy factory macdon joiner slats.

The double guide is way harder to clean out quickly and doesn't like to run when it's cold out. Might not matter if you're not cutting flattened crop or beans in November in the mud, but seems to be a regular occurrence nowadays

1 - 20 of 27 Posts