The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Macdon makes a good product, my old boss had a Premier 2950 and a 2952, they are basically same a few hyd issues with valve bodys, no big deal, could double swath with them, these machines were I think 2000 and 2001 model, heck of a machine, canola they are king of swathers, wide throat, what model are you looking at, Scott.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Had 1998, 2920..Changed the alt..had some AC issues, and changed the 4 hoses that run in the frame down to the planetary motors..They rubbed through and lost all the hyd. oil..would change those before that happens..Other than that , a VG machine..

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well one I see is a 9300. Haven't really paid too close attention to model numbers. But I've noticed there's a lot of different model numbers made. I see on a lot of posts guys say to stay away from the 960 header. Why is that?

·
Registered
278 Posts
The main reason to get a 972 is that the reel (model B2100 for 972-973-974) is far superior than the 960, 962 or 963 reel (model B2000 or 2000B for 960-962-963) if you are swathing Canola or any kind of heavy or downed crop.

As far as I know, the only reel that can out feed the B2100 is the lastest PR15 on the D and FD headers. The Hart Carter and U2 reels can barely keep up to the B2000.

Also, the C-shape cutterbar is also better for keeping the inside of the draper decks free of debris, shaves closer to the ground without pushing dirt and the wobble box is the MacDon model instead of the JD Wobble box (used before 1996 I think). Also the swath opening is larger and the header is deeper as well to handle more material in heavy crop and/or when driving faster.

Also try to get a tractor with larger drive wheels if you need the extra clearance. Larger caster wheels also improve the ride.

The models before the new tractors (2006 and older) go like this.

MacDon 9250/9350/9352/9352i/9352c
Westward 9250/9350/9352/9352i/9352c
Prairie Star 4940/4950/4952/4952i/4952c
Premier 2940/2950/2952/2952i/2952c
Harvest Pro 8140/8150/8152/8152i/8152c

The little "i" means an Isuzu Engine, high horsepower model.
The little "c" means a Cummins Engine, high horsepower model.
I think most other models are cummins engines. The different model numbers (XX40, XX50, XX52) usually relate to tire size options, power wheel size and engine horsepower.

Listen for gear noise in the right angle drive under the cab. There is a service bulletin on this as well. If the dealer doesn't know, call and ask Macdon Service.

Good luck!

·
Registered
278 Posts
That depends on your crop.

We have a 8152 with 972 25' and last year we had canola that was so heavy that we have trouble feeding at times. If that problem occurs again I think I would add the Upper cross (pea)auger to help keep the crop moving instead of hanging up. There are also feed drum options to keep the crop from hanging up in the opening.

·
Registered
444 Posts
After owning both, I would not purchase another non-turbo macdon. It isn't because there underpowered in normal conditions though. The turbo comes with a 2 spd meaning 16 mph transport compared to 12 mph. Also is less jerky in field when finding speeds. A small movement of the hydro in the non-turbo. is a big difference in speed. Also, non-turbo won't spin the drives in soft ground, just powers out.

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
Well one I see is a 9300. Haven't really paid too close attention to model numbers. But I've noticed there's a lot of different model numbers made. I see on a lot of posts guys say to stay away from the 960 header. Why is that?
I have the Prairie Star equivalent 4900, '95 with about 1800 hours I think:confused: with a 21 foot 960 and 18 foot 942 Multicrop with crimper. Non turbo, seldom I run into a power issue but yes the turbo would be nice, as would the two speed drives. All in all, dam good swather, pleasure to own and drive IMO. Any specific questions, just ask.;)

As already mentioned, the angle drive gear box can give grief if it has been run low on oil. Also driveline between engine and that same gearbox needs to be watched for loose ujoints and splines. A new one complete can be bought for less than $300 so not worth bothering to rebuild old one.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
We have an 03 2950 Westward. Pretty good swather but have changed out almost all the hydraulic hoses underneath last harvest and this hay cutting season. Gone through a lot of hydraulic fluid. Macdon uses real thin hoses so when getting replacements made up they are usually heavier thus thicker and can be a real bear to get put back into position and also have to put covers on the hoses in a lot of areas so they don't rub through. Otherwise not much else. Put outback autosteer on it makes cutting canola for days on end much easier. We have the 962 head at 35 feet, not bad either but had to relocate motors to center of machine from ends to get enough power to keep canvases turning in heavy canola.

·
Registered
133 Posts
We have a Prairie Star 4900 It has the turbo and 2 speed with the 972 header. At 4200 hours the main problems have been hydraulic hoses and some electrical but it has been a great swather. Will upgrade to another Macdon within the next couple of years.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We run 2 Prairie Star 4940's with 972 headers. One is a 02 and one a 04. They have been very good machines for us and have had very few issues other than a few hydraulic hoses rubbing through over the years. If your going to be using it in heavy canola a powered drum is a MUST. The opening is just a little too small for the heavy stuff. If you have any hills i would also recommend one of the models with the the higher horsepower motors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.