The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sorry, but would you explain why you would run a smaller draper? I always understood, you can go to a bigger header. The combine achieves more, but your speed stays the same.

I only operated a honeybee and have to say what a great improvement over an auger header. But if you need to take the header off, the honeybees have some heavy parts to put on. Drawbar... from what I've seen on the web, MacDon might have the edge there.

Did they change the knive drive recently? Ours wouldn't always cut what we wanted to. Green, tough straw and such.

The Wanderer

·
Registered
378 Posts
In my experience with either front it depends on what you want to do. The Honeybee does most things very well as does the Macdon. We see areas of the country that favour one over the other and that depends on dealer as well as crops grown. The macdon can get a lot lower to the ground than the honeybee fro things like lentils etc.

I would advise if you are only cutting wheat then the honeybee would be the go as not so critical to get super low and they have had their wide ones out for longer.
Jono

·
Registered
405 Posts
Quote:In my experience with either front it depends on what you want to do. The Honeybee does most things very well as does the Macdon. We see areas of the country that favour one over the other and that depends on dealer as well as crops grown. The macdon can get a lot lower to the ground than the honeybee fro things like lentils etc.

I would advise if you are only cutting wheat then the honeybee would be the go as not so critical to get super low and they have had their wide ones out for longer.
Jono

I would go the other way after using both types in the same paddock Jono. Have harvested many thousands of acres of Chick Peas on the deck and the HoneyBee will shave the ground. It is easy to change the tilt of the cutterbar angle to the ground as well. Drapers cost more to run than an auger front but they more than make up for it in productivity in our circumstances.Just my two cents worth.
We have had both an auger front and a draper on a TR99 and the draper was so far ahead it was not funny. HCC reel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The HoneyBee is my pick. I've owned and operated a HoneyBee and operated a MacDon.
The HoneyBee uses the Schumaker easy cut system which uses the guards that cut on the top and bottom. every other sickle section is on upsidedown. It eliminates dirt and sticky stuff from getting under the sickle. The epecyclic sickle hydraulic driver is an industry best. Very reliable and hardly any vibration. It uses leaf springs to carry the header vs. the coils on the Macdon.
It uses one hyd pump vs two for MacDon. The reel is a Universal ( sweeps the grain in vs. the Hart-cater on MacDon. The sweep type is much better. The oil cooler in the frame is 120 inches long and keeps the oil cooler.
The center deck w/ the feeder drum w/retractable fingers helps it feed the grain in very unevenly. Drapers increase your capacity about 20%.
You can go to HoneyBee web site to check it all out.
If you go to a draper you probably don't need a 36 footer you can get by with a 30'. which is a lot cheaper .

·
Registered
37 Posts
In regard to my recommending a 30' draper over a 36'. I was thinking about cost and convenience of operation like unloading on the go and moving from field to field. With a 30' draper just drive a little faster. You will run out of power on the 99 before you get to driving at an excessive speed. Of course ther are exceptions like very thin wheat. My experience says that those are very few and far inbetween. On the subject that the MacDon will cut lower Ausfarmer is right just turn the turnbuckle to tilt the cutter bar forward so it will cut lower w/out dragging the ground.

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
some macdons you can adjust the angle. Depends what you buy. haven't run a honeybee, but the older macdon's have trouble with feeding bearded wheats. The center canvas shoots the heads right into the middle of the feedhouse drum and that makes it bunch up. A good feeder chain makes a difference, but I saw at the Farm Progress show that the new macdons are changed, so they obviously knew about the problem

1 - 9 of 9 Posts