The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After running an FD75 and a FD140 there are a few things that MacDon needs to improve.

First the transport/guage wheels are getting too heavy as I get older. How about an electric actuator that I can just hit a switch to adjust. Also the pins on the right side transport wheels need a hammer to get out to change the tire direction. How about putting a slightly larger hole in the pivot linkage so the pin moves freely.

Secondly the header angle gauge (A to D) and the height indicator (0 to 4) are always covered in straw. Either move them out to the wing so they are in the open or get an electronic indicator in the cab. On a year with lodged crop I am constantly adjusting the cutting angle to get the lodged crop and then tilt it back to get less rocks in the standing crop. Annoying to have to stop and keep cleaning the indicators off.

Third, lets get metric bolts on these headers. All combines have been fully metric now for years. I hate having to carry 2 sets of tools on my combine to fix the header.

Last the hydraulic oil leaks out of the fill cap if you have any hills at all. Always an oily mess around the fill cap.

·
Super Moderator
2,511 Posts
After running an FD75 and a FD140 there are a few things that MacDon needs to improve.

First the transport/guage wheels are getting too heavy as I get older. How about an electric actuator that I can just hit a switch to adjust. Also the pins on the right side transport wheels need a hammer to get out to change the tire direction. How about putting a slightly larger hole in the pivot linkage so the pin moves freely.

Secondly the header angle gauge (A to D) and the height indicator (0 to 4) are always covered in straw. Either move them out to the wing so they are in the open or get an electronic indicator in the cab. On a year with lodged crop I am constantly adjusting the cutting angle to get the lodged crop and then tilt it back to get less rocks in the standing crop. Annoying to have to stop and keep cleaning the indicators off.

Third, lets get metric bolts on these headers. All combines have been fully metric now for years. I hate having to carry 2 sets of tools on my combine to fix the header.

Last the hydraulic oil leaks out of the fill cap if you have any hills at all. Always an oily mess around the fill cap.
Agree across the board and can solve about 3/4’s of that for you.

I fought those pins all fall on mine, noticed the other day the bolts that I’m not sure are for what purpose needed turned in about a 1/4 turn each, problem solved. It’s ok, I already felt stupid to myself.
For weight I just raise the header as little as possible to put wheels in field position but hear you on our aging bodies.

In cab display is likely due, Claas displays height but all brands would need angle display.

FD1 is mostly metric I think.

There is an optional riser tube available, I have it, eliminates slobbering.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I commented on another thread a while back about the transport wheel system but no one ever really gave a reason but why do you run the transport wheel system in lieu of a header trailer? Just unhook the header, set it on trailer, back up to trailer, drop pin and drive away. I have never been around the wheel transport set up, I wasn't sure if it is a cost issue being the MacDon system is almost free compared to a trailer or why they are used. I agree the tilt and height indicator get covered up and moving it off to the side could help that. Might even make the cable to the height indicator more simple, not that I have had any issues with it. Do the side drapers and reel reverse on the FD1's? That is my biggest complaint, when you reverse a wad out I generally still have to get out and drag it off the header. If side drapers reversed that would help a lot, reel reverse would be real nice.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
The transport is always with the header as compared to a trailer. We don’t put ours in transport often maybe three times a year so the trailer would never be where you want it. Not sure what’s so hard about putting header in transport backing up to it and dropping a pin and going. Takes 10 minutes at most. I’ve used a trailer on a demo header it’s not nearly as handy.

·
Super Moderator
2,511 Posts
The transport is always with the header as compared to a trailer. We don’t put ours in transport often maybe three times a year so the trailer would never be where you want it. Not sure what’s so hard about putting header in transport backing up to it and dropping a pin and going. Takes 10 minutes at most. I’ve used a trailer on a demo header it’s not nearly as handy.
Exactly, I hate separate trailer for the short moves we have and about 90% of the time the header just stays on anyway.
Have you adopted a
ALWAYS LEAVE HEADER ON WHEELS!
policy when taking off to pick up swathes?
Takes about two combine travel lessons for that one to really soak in, lol.

·
Super Moderator
2,511 Posts
Do the side drapers and reel reverse on the FD1's? That is my biggest complaint, when you reverse a wad out I generally still have to get out and drag it off the header. If side drapers reversed that would help a lot, reel reverse would be real nice.
Side drapers do not reverse, reel reverse is only to do with the combine and a 2018 Claas in equally powerful forwards or backwards, sweeps most of it out.

Had a lucky oil leak on my tilt cylinder, the fix was a complete replacement cylinder except the white gauge, it’s about twice as fast as the original, A to D in maybe 1.5 seconds.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
My brother just started an engineering job with MacDon.... so I forwarded this thread to him!
And while were on the topic, has anyone else wondered why the seats are so incredibly uncomfortable in their swathers?? We had a couple older ones and traded on a brand new one last year.... the new seats are no more comfortable than the old ones.... we would use a pillow top type cushion to ease the pain.... that seat sensor seems to wanna poke you right where you dont wanna be poked 😞

·
Registered
338 Posts
My brother just started an engineering job with MacDon.... so I forwarded this thread to him!
And while were on the topic, has anyone else wondered why the seats are so incredibly uncomfortable in their swathers?? We had a couple older ones and traded on a brand new one last year.... the new seats are no more comfortable than the old ones.... we would use a pillow top type cushion to ease the pain.... that seat sensor seems to wanna poke you right where you dont wanna be poked 😞
Seats are absolute crap! 2 hours and it feels like 14. One would think better seat tech is available to MacDon.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Seats are absolute crap! 2 hours and it feels like 14. One would think better seat tech is available to MacDon.
Gotta keep you awake somehow as you cut canola all night in the dew

·
Registered
94 Posts
We run 2 FD75's and I think they are amazing headers. Sure there are a few issues but overall I was so impressed at how well they handled our snow downed crop this year. We cut the most challenging crop of my farming career this year with very little trouble!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Let's make this clear.. this is not to complain about how poor the MacDon products are.... they, like many manufacturers, produce great products.... there just are some things that owners find in real world conditions that are not noticed through MacDon's factory testing.

·
Registered
467 Posts
X2! And the armrest on the console! Maybe I’m soft but I get a sore elbow after a long day. Why can’t they give that pad a bit more cushion? It has about the same amount of give as the plastic in the console.

Agreed on the metric fasteners and the weight of that RH set of wheels Twix. It’s nearly a 2 man job.

Header transport is very convenient and generally used for towing to and from storage and to sit on while in storage. Header trailer would be better for long moves but pretty tough to beat the simplicity and ease of MacDon’s setup.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
. Do the side drapers and reel reverse on the FD1's? That is my biggest complaint, when you reverse a wad out I generally still have to get out and drag it off the header. If side drapers reversed that would help a lot, reel reverse would be real nice.
The reel on my FD75 and Lexion reverse. Makes it supper nice coming from Case and didnt reverse.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Why don't the windrowers have constant flow hydraulics for height? I am sick of constantly pressing up and down all day long when swathing! Sure there is "return to cut height" but that only good if you have land like a table and it's all standing.

Make some height control!!, at least make it an option for the love of all things sacred!

If you haven't noticed, our units have worn out the joystick buttons twice over already, and less than 1000hrs use.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Agree that the transport wheels and hitch are hard to handle. Perhaps an engineer with back issues could work on improving the system.

Like the factory transport system when installing header on the road. Park header across from approach then back combine into approach and pickup header. No header transport left on the road to worry about. Header is pulled by combine so wife can be moving trucks instead of headers.

Improve the ergonomics of the header so it stays cleaner and is easier to clean. Would give it a cleaner more streamlined look as well.

Try to make header and reel ends so they repel over hanging branches instead of attracting them and damaging the reel and hoses.

I'm using the header on a new Case and no it doesn't reverse the reel. Haven't come across anywhere in the monitor to turn the function on but will look closer. Also wish that the tilt function was the primary and reel fore and aft was secondary (secondary meaning having to hold rear button simultaneously) Use tilt constantly picking up lodged crop or just following rolling ground. Was able to switch it around on previous 2162's by just switching wires if I remember correctly but haven't be able to figure it out on the FD140.

The seed saver kit for canola need to go back to the drawing board especially where the canvasses dump on the center belt just behind the knife. Kit went from bad to not much better. There is like a good 1" gap where any shelled canola seed travelling on the canvasses will be swept down and lost. Mechanic did some modification to the bracket and belting which improved it greatly.

Being able to cut 6 to 10" stubble while in flex mode would make a really good header great.

Otherwise generally heck of a good header especially on challenging years like these.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I commented on another thread a while back about the transport wheel system but no one ever really gave a reason but why do you run the transport wheel system in lieu of a header trailer? Just unhook the header, set it on trailer, back up to trailer, drop pin and drive away. I have never been around the wheel transport set up, I wasn't sure if it is a cost issue being the MacDon system is almost free compared to a trailer or why they are used. I agree the tilt and height indicator get covered up and moving it off to the side could help that. Might even make the cable to the height indicator more simple, not that I have had any issues with it. Do the side drapers and reel reverse on the FD1's? That is my biggest complaint, when you reverse a wad out I generally still have to get out and drag it off the header. If side drapers reversed that would help a lot, reel reverse would be real nice.
We run the transport system instead of a header trailer for 1 simple reason. The head goes in transport at most 3 times a year and 1 of those times is to put it back in the shed for winter. The other 2 are only to 1 field and then back home behind the combine. And that doesn't even happen every year.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Also wish that the tilt function was the primary and reel fore and aft was secondary (secondary meaning having to hold rear button simultaneously) Use tilt constantly picking up lodged crop or just following rolling ground. Was able to switch it around on previous 2162's by just switching wires if I remember correctly but haven't be able to figure it out on the FD140.
The only way to change that would be if you could configure the computer to activate the solenoids for the primary function and not for the secondary function. The default hydraulic flow (solenoids not engaged, no voltage) is the reel fore/aft. This function works even if the header electrical is unplugged. If the solenoids are energized then the oil goes to the fore/aft. There's no way to simply switch wires to change that even on the 2162, at least that's the way it is on my 2162.

You could, however, change the hydraulic lines on the valve block on the adapter so that the default flow-through path goes to the tilt cylinder. The combine wouldn't care.

·
Registered
211 Posts
It could be that I switched hoses then Torriem. That was a while ago but tilt was definitely priority because I was having fun getting used to get used to having them switched back. But anyhow it would be nice to be able to choose which way you wanted it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts