The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at some new highway tractors for farm use and just wondering what people think about the Mack Pinnacle trucks. I have one priced out that is a daycab with a M8 engine with the M-Shift transmission. Anybody have any experience with that powertrain?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Volvo engine and transmission now not sure if that concerns you. For farm trucks a T800 is hard to beat but KW is always more money I know a farmer running a new mack around our way haven't heard him complain about it

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Isn't most of that borrowed technology from Volvo? If so it will be very good. I liked the layout of the Mack cab but when I was buying trucks they couldn't compete with the Volvo on price.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Isn't most of that borrowed technology from Volvo? If so it will be very good. I liked the layout of the Mack cab but when I was buying trucks they couldn't compete with the Volvo on price.
Yes, they pretty much have the same drivetrain. It's just a different cab basically.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Do you mean M-Drive transmission? I have no experience personally, but this year the local carrier (road trains only) got their first superliner with M-drive and the MP10. A mate who drives there, told me that it's a great truck, and "everyone wants to drive it". All the other trucks have 18 speed manual Roadrangers, so you might think that there would be some resistance towards an auto transmission, but this is not the case. Apparently there are going to be a few more superliners in their fleet next year.

I read somewhere, that 95% of the bigger new Macks in Australia are ordered with the M-drive. I guess time will tell on their reliability, but the driveability is certainly good.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a '13 pinnacle with the m-drive and the mp8 (d13) with 505hp. I haul hay and love it. Like others said its basically the volvo drive train. The shift quality has been great and I haven't experienced any "dumb" shifts. It know when you are on a hill and also has the hill assist start where it keeps the brakes on when your stopped on a hill until you put your foot on the accelerator. Also has a performance mode where it revs up the engine more before shifting. Nice to have when pulling out of fields. Cab is nice. I do have some wind noise around the doors that I think could be less but the dealer says its normal. For the same equipped truck I found the Mack to come in a bit cheaper than the volvo. Overall very happy with the truck. Rides much better than our old FL century truck.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
There is an older one with an 18 speed in the fleet that I get involved in sometimes. It's a good solid truck for farm work. My only serious complaint is the laid flat riverboat steering wheel, sans the the handle grips, and the fact that I have to tilt it flat and telescope it all the way up to get my gangly legs between the wheel and the clutch pedal that goes half way up to the ceiling.

I think the layout is janky. janky - Wiktionary

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had some time to look at trucks today again. Found some 2012 388 daycab Petes that caught my eye. Fully loaded, heavy spec with 485 Pacar motors in them. Not to bad of price compared to brand new but just worried that they might be short of power. A friend of mine has a 2013 and 2014 Pete with the 500hp Pacar and he said their old 425 cats pull better. He said they wouldn't want to pull anymore then the triaxle grain trailers they have now. Any opinions?

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Check out ihc prostar trucks before you buy. Very reasonable and think a very under estimated truck. Like driving a car but solid truck.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check out ihc prostar trucks before you buy. Very reasonable and think a very under estimated truck. Like driving a car but solid truck.
Haven't heard anything good about their engines in them.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Personally I'm a Mack/Kenworth guy and ended up with a new T800. Paccar 1850/500 pulls great drives and rides like a Cadillac. Didn't know what to think of the Paccar engine as it's the first for us but really like it.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Landed up buying a Mack with the M-drive and 505hp motor. Have been hauling with it for the last 2 days now. The only thing I don't like about it is the rpm that it downshifts at. Think it has to come down to 1100rpm to downshift. Once you are down that low in RPM your jake brakes are hardly working. Does anybody know if the dealer can program it to downshift at a higher RPM? Also I don't see any advantage in running in performance mode, is there a way you can lock that in, instead of hitting the button every 3 minutes? I have been driving with it with the accelerator all the way to the floor so it doesn't upshift to around 1800RPM. We are pulling a triaxle trailer. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
299 Posts
If you make a small 5 psi brake application do the jakes come on harder? I think all you need is enough to turn the brake lights on. I notice that with my one freightliner that has an auto shift.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Landed up buying a Mack with the M-drive and 505hp motor. Have been hauling with it for the last 2 days now. The only thing I don't like about it is the rpm that it downshifts at. Think it has to come down to 1100rpm to downshift. Once you are down that low in RPM your jake brakes are hardly working. Does anybody know if the dealer can program it to downshift at a higher RPM? Also I don't see any advantage in running in performance mode, is there a way you can lock that in, instead of hitting the button every 3 minutes? I have been driving with it with the accelerator all the way to the floor so it doesn't upshift to around 1800RPM. We are pulling a triaxle trailer. Any suggestions?
I am going to assume that it is the same as my Volvo engine and I-shift transmission. For me there is about three settings on the lever for the jakes, each more aggressive. Beyond that there is a momentary detent which is much more aggressive, I use that one all the time. Shifting parameters are programmable so that could be changed but I think the transmission learns a bit over time and adjusts to your driving style, not sure about that but somebody did tell me that. I used to always be hitting the performance mode button too until I got used to the engine always running under 1500 RPM, I suspect you will too. That engine has incredible torque! I am pulling tri's and a super-b with mine and love it.:)

Enjoy your new truck.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Basically in a Mack the jakes are either off or on. There is a setting to make it work in conjunction with your cruise control but not 3 different levels like most trucks have.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does anybody know of any shops in Canada that will remove your DEF system and particulate filter? Truck is a 2012 Pinnacle with a MP8. Only had the truck for two weeks and it is causing me grief already. I left the truck sit outside for two nights and apparently it didn't like that. Had to buy an "after treatment hydro carbon dosing module" for $518.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
There is a new place in carlyle called smoke em diesel I know nothing about them just that they are there

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts