The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I txted my grain buyer at local line company as we were leaving for an out of country holiday. They were at a price and I gave my volume and the agreed price. They gave me the okay. Return from trip and touch base to see how the delivery schedule looks. Turns out they forgot to put contract through and now price has dropped. They’ve recognized they messed up but are not willing to honour the deal. Do I have any recourse? It’s a fairly significant amount we’re dealing with.

·
Super Moderator
2,651 Posts
Oh, but is a accepted text exchange now legal?

Not only that but how long and what time frame between?
Basis must have widened, futures up lately.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
You haven't a leg to stand on. However, I would contact the buyer who confirmed the verbal contract and give him both barrels. Then avoid dealing with that company again.

·
Super Moderator
2,651 Posts
Back when I had to do this simply replying to an emailed contract, no change to it, constituted an accepted contract.

Viterrorist anyway.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
A text is legally binding.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
**** when you verbally agree to a price on phone some say it’s binding. If you have a txt I would be going to the higher ups, get them to admit the screw up in a txt also.

·
Registered
156 Posts
So I txted my grain buyer at local line company as we were leaving for an out of country holiday. They were at a price and I gave my volume and the agreed price. They gave me the okay. Return from trip and touch base to see how the delivery schedule looks. Turns out they forgot to put contract through and now price has dropped. They’ve recognized they messed up but are not willing to honour the deal. Do I have any recourse? It’s a fairly significant amount we’re dealing with.
Sounds like you will receive a third round of MFPs. That might prop up what you lost! Soybeans lost a lot of ground in a week and now China says they will buy only when the time is right so not to shock the market. Just a hunch, but maybe a fourth MFP on the horizon.! As far as I am concerned phase 1 deal was just a photo op! too many loop holes to take seriously.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sounds like you will receive a third round of MFPs. That might prop up what you lost! Soybeans lost a lot of ground in a week and now China says they will buy only when the time is right so not to shock the market. Just a hunch, but maybe a fourth MFP on the horizon.! As far as I am concerned phase 1 deal was just a photo op! too many loop holes to take seriously.
My mistake thought that looked like a yankee flag. apologies

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
The problem with a text is there's usually not enough information on there for it to form a complete picture of the actual deal, in the eyes of a lawyer.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Our Grain Buyer has a telephone record system, that will record all conversations regarding selling and buying grain. Probably to protect them from dodgy farmers.... Have not heard of anyone that needed to use it against them, but it should be possible.

·
Registered
519 Posts
As stated, texts and emails where by parties make arrangements and agreements is as contract. Anything suspect or important I always get a written record so I can defend myself (if I discuss something verbally I always then request it to be sent by text or email to confirm so I have the record).

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Texting a grain buyer to prepare a contract isn't signing the contract. Well unless the buyer has power of attorney!

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
canada and USA are not the same country. So, what constitutes a legal binding agreement in the USA? Is it worth a fight? I would walk away, tell them they suck. Then tell my fellow farmers they suck and why.

Truly, not sure what you can really do about it. I try to text and email for a few reasons. One is my memory sucks, two is human memory generally sucks. If I am dong business with an honest person, we both have something to back us up.

If you get a guy that won't text, email, or write down certain things. I have a hard time trusting them. Anymore I will ask what they are hiding. Usually a chemical dealer is this way. Hiding their prices. Often the same ones that will ask the price from other dealers. Just something to think about. Something that bugs me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts