The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its a 2005 9860 sts

heres whats happened. Moisture sensor wasnt working took it apart, it was rusted together at the gears, cleaned it, tested it, it worked fine ( turn key motor cycles once)

Then i lifted up the straw chopped, went to go put it down, it wouldnt go, found the fuse replaced it.

Installed a new after market cd player in it. tested the wires, hooked it up right ( only 2 speakers, ground, ignition wire, and positive wire)

now heres what happened today.

Got a 2004 630F header, went to go calibrate the header control, and it gave me ER96 after i set the H-up, so i ran it without it. Moisture sensor said unswitched something something low voltage, moisture sensor disabled. ran it without that too, flicked on my lights at dark, all the corner post back lights start dimming and going bright, radio fuzzies up, and the low fuel alarm keeps going off every 20 seconds or more ( yess i fueled it right up and its still doing it )

So is it the alternator causing me all this grief? or a voltage regulator? I got a brand new alternator from the hutterites to see if its the problem, but anything else you guys have ever heard of?

·
Registered
653 Posts
well first off, check your alternator. With engine running should be around 14.1 volts. Check it with a multimeter, and set your high low so you can see any sudden spikes.

Everything you just posted leads me to say its a short. Was the fuse blown, if so probably short. You have low voltage code is another tip. And the back lights dimming also says short.

Did you plug your radio into a reliable power source. Did you check to see if it has constant 12v or keyed, Also did you check to see if it was a voltage source to a special component like a computer?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well turns out when i wired the radio i put a male connector on one of the wires that i didnt use, ( thought maybe it was an illumination wire for the cd player) but there turned out to be two wires like it, and when i put it back up there it would hit the metal and short, so i got that fixed now, my moisture sensor just randomly started working yesterday now. I still got ER96 on my header though, and i have this horrible shaking on my combine, only happens when i engage the front end. I tried putting the feeder house belt on a slower speed but that didnt help, What should the header shaft speed be? mines running at 510 rpm right now, i think i may have a bend shaft

·
Registered
17 Posts
If your running a platform, I have seen a lot of times the bar up under the sickle on the front of the head will break clear at the left hand side right beside the wobble box and that will cause a vibration when you kick the head in gear.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ew trewrt wert wert ewr
alright i will have to take a look at that, one thing i noticed is they have a warped peice of sewer pipe over the ten foot shaft that comes off the feeder house there, i wonder if that long shaft is bent, but ill look at that sickle section first.

What does " ER96 Flex/belt center header height position sensor “raised” less than 2.5VDC" exactly mean? is the sensor wrecked? i got a brand new one in a box if thats the case.. i was told to check my wires but they appear to all be fine..

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hold on there JD guys.....................

I didnt think JD had any electical issues, only NH did!

(Just HAD to throw that in there after our 9870 vs 9080 debate
)

Hope you figure out ur problem. CHECK UR GROUNDS!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
What does " ER96 Flex/belt center header height position sensor “raised” less than 2.5VDC" exactly mean? is the sensor wrecked? i got a brand new one in a box if thats the case.. i was told to check my wires but they appear to all be fine..

Can you adjust the sensor, go to E01 Address 24 and see what it shows in the up postion, this volts in the up postion. As you lower the header at this address see if it shows volts goes down. The upper volts needs to be above 2.5 and when lowered it needs to go down in volts to .05 are more.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good luck on the electrical problem, our 05 9860 had several shorts and loose grounds that were nightmares. The shaking sounds like you might have dirt or maybe dust in your platform auger. Take some of the cover plates off on the retractable fingers and blow all the dust out, the earlier 630 models were notorious for running rough. 480-510 is the head speed range on a platform.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought an 05 9860 that was supposedly field ready. It made it about half way across my field before it finally wouldn't even move. Started off with grain elevator low speed warning. I just put all new belts and chains on it. Switched sensor with the tailing elevator and still showing low speed. When I started going the header reel went from fast to crawling and won't adjust to about another 100' the machine keeps stopping, I have to move the lever to park then back to forward to move about another 20' and stop. The low oil pressure light came on and the motor keeps surging and throwing codes. I finally stopped and tried to drive it back to the shop. It stopped moving and now I can't get it to drive forward or reverse at all.... Anybody have any ideas?? I mean all this to go wrong all at once seems kinda odd. I drove it about 3 miles to my property no problems. Then bam all this..

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
I have seen very strange problems from a common rub spot on a harness. It is on the side of the feederhouse. The harness that connects to the header. Most of the time is when they don't have the single point connection. Rubs on belt or something I don't remember for sure. Lots of wires start shorting together causing a number of weird problems. Next, make sure everything is plugged in all the way that you hooked up. I got used to looking there first for any sort of problem. Even had one combine that died in the middle of the field from that. CAN-BUS shorts can do goofy things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I took the cover off the rear fuse box behind the engine above the fuel tank. It was full of dust. Blew it out and everything started working fine except for the fuel gauge still not working and the clean grain elevator low speed warning. Who knows.. Gonna check the grounds and blow out all the connections.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts