The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was killing time with my wife today at the Italian store..... I don't know about others but we spray buckwheat out... it's a bad weed... and has anybody even tried to gmo this stuff!? Crazy!
20180315_171651_crop_719x890_1521182165083.jpg

Tell us about what makes you scratch your head at the local or speciality stores.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Non-GMO labels have been popping up everywhere the last few years on things as nonsensical as bottled water. It's such a farce. Praying on people's fears isn't new, in fact it's one of the oldest form of marketing there is. It's just human nature and how people inherently react to "potential" threats. One would just hope that in today's world with all our technology where we can scientifically measure with unparralled accuracy what is good and safe for people to consume this fear would be disbanded but instead it's being perpetuated and embraced. Consumers have never felt so informed yet been so factually uninformed. At the end of the day critical thinking is dead and people simply aren't hungry enough.....

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was killing time with my wife today at the Italian store..... I don't know about others but we spray buckwheat out... it's a bad weed... and has anybody even tried to gmo this stuff!? Crazy!
View attachment 139322

Tell us about what makes you scratch your head at the local or speciality stores.
You spray out WILD buckwheat. Yes wild buckwheat is a terrible weed. This is tame or common buckwheat.

And yeah the non-GMO labelling thing is a crock! It just fuels the GMO "fear" in the public IMO.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
That is de-hulled, don't know what that costs but buckwheat is only around 20 cents a pound conventional, nearly double for organic.
It's all ridiculous, doesn't matter what you buy at the store, take a box of cereal once, look at the price vs the weight.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
It is against the law to label a product as non-gmo if there is not a GMO equivalent available. Someone needs to hold these companies and their predatory marketing tactics to task.

My wife loves buckwheat, the tame variety. It smells abhorrent, and I can't stand it.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. Well I didn't know there was tame buckwheat.. I had never looked into it, just hated it trying to grow in my field.
On the topic of labelling my wife saw "gluten free milk"....... now is this a thing, like do you have gluten free dairy cattle diets to get gluten free milk???

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I was in a Bulk Barn awhile ago, a bin of wheat, just regular, ordinary wheat. Not organic. Not milled into flour. Label just said wheat. Can't remember the exact price per gram, but remember when I converted it to price per bushel, it was very close to $60!!!!!! One marking term that confuses me is "Naturally Sourced"??? Especially when used for that sea water crap you squirt up your nose. How the he!! do you Naturally Source sea water? Walk into the sea with a pail and scoop it up?

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
I was in a Bulk Barn awhile ago, a bin of wheat, just regular, ordinary wheat. Not organic. Not milled into flour. Label just said wheat. Can't remember the exact price per gram, but remember when I converted it to price per bushel, it was very close to $60!!!!!!
I just gave a pail of wheat to a guy from Brandon and he told me that Superstore and Walmart sells it for what amounts to $66/bushel. He wanted whole-grain wheat to make bread. Also gave him some yellow peas to try. Felt like the good old days, giving wheat away...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was in a Bulk Barn awhile ago, a bin of wheat, just regular, ordinary wheat. Not organic. Not milled into flour. Label just said wheat. Can't remember the exact price per gram, but remember when I converted it to price per bushel, it was very close to $60!!!!!! One marking term that confuses me is "Naturally Sourced"??? Especially when used for that sea water crap you squirt up your nose. How the he!! do you Naturally Source sea water? Walk into the sea with a pail and scoop it up?
I saw that too a few months ago. They were calling it wheat berries. It is just straight unorganic wheat. My quick math got me to the same price/bu. I google wheat berries later and it seems to be the thing to put in a salad.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
You can go on e-bay and probably amazon and see all sorts of people selling "wheat berries" for many dollars a bushel. Do a search. It's unbelievable. We need to figure out ways of cashing in on people's ignorance. Or at least figure out how to numb our consciences enough to do that!

There's a very enterprising farmer somewhere south of Fort Mac that sells a lot of things to city folk. Recycles his strawberry bedding straw each spring into miniature straw bales that sell like hotcakes. Takes his trees that get cut down by beavers and sells them as "naturally-cut" firewood. Wish I could remember his name. He's an entertaining speaker.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I saw that too a few months ago. They were calling it wheat berries. It is just straight unorganic wheat. My quick math got me to the same price/bu. I google wheat berries later and it seems to be the thing to put in a salad.
There is no "The thing to put in salad". The only thing to put in salad is meat!

At the time time I thought "Fu#k people are stupid!" Then as I thought more about, who are the stupid ones? Guessing it's NOT the middle man.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Makes you wonder how much of that they sell in a year, for whoever is supplying them it has to be a pretty good cash cow if sales are high.
If you ever want some price shock look at what the price of conventional, high protein, clear/yellow hilum soybeans sell for on e-bay. I figured the range was anywhere from $60-90 US per bushel, meanwhile the local co-op will take them off of my hands for $9.50. (currently). Rather amazing that the price of popcorn is almost dirt cheap compared to the beans, and a lot more people eat popcorn than make soy milk or tofu.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts