The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past number of years I have been growing Copeland barley and most years getting malt. But I would love to grow a feed varity and never have to deal with the crap that goes along with marketing malt barley. Is there anything out there that has a big yield advantage over Copeland?
We did grow Xena years ago, but never seamed to see a big enough yield advantage.

·
Registered
192 Posts
We replaced Copeland with Newdale a few years ago and considered it a good upgrade at the time - I'd say a 10% yield bump or so with good weight, lodging and fus. Only downside relative to Copeland is a few days later maturity.

Weather has really hammered barley here the last couple years to the point where I'm unsure whether I'll be growing any in 2013 at all. But if I do, like you, I'll be growing it to feed the pigs rather than to fatten the maltsters :p

M

·
Registered
149 Posts
we tried "cowboy" this year.....was not happy with the yeild at all....lots of straw....must b a sialage barley. Pretty tough to beat copeland even for feed in my experience

·
0 Posts
we've always grown conlon, always good yields but haven't compared it to other varieties

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with mkeating as regards barley this last 3 years . My issue is this , if I replace barley with CPS , which is today's plan , am I setting myself up for a yield wreck if we get a drier year ? In drier years like 04 or 05 our Copeland did 90bu plus , but in 09 and 10 did in the 40's . Switched to Metcalfe in 12 due to germ issues in my saved seed , and now the 12 production has 14.5% Fusarium in the seed test results !
We have made malt with the majority each year , but each year issues with delivery seem to worsen . With that in mind , and needing new seed again , I am also wondering which barley variety to go with , feed or malt or even if barley should be in the plan .
Linuxfarmer writes a very pertinent post .
I need a crystal ball !

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Looking over the Saskatchewan recommended list that Don posted, I'm a little surprised at the different varieties being recommended between there and Manitoba. I too grew Conlon barley with excellent results as long as I was feeding pigs, but have since changed those acres to HRSW. The assumption seems to be that fusarium isn't a big issue for Sask. varieties, but the posts seem to indicate otherwise. We live on an escarpment so we seem to catch the spores with east, west, or south winds so I look for varieties with excellent disease resistance first, even if it means sacrificing some yield. It sounds like Sask growers are facing the same disease pressures we encountered in the mid 80's, and it has changed the way we look at varieties dramatically. Growing 90 bushel yields are irrelevant if you are filling bins with toxic waste.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Heard good things about Austenson for feed but not sure about the disease package, right now we don't have to worry about fus gram but I'm sure it won't be long till we do have to deal with it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts