The Combine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never grown barley for malt. Have 1 quarter in synergy, central Alberta. Weather generally poor and getting late in the season. We usually sell most of our barley to a feedlot half mile away.
So should I wait for this stuff to dry naturally and *hope* to get malt grade or just bag it and sell high moisture to the feed lot and be done with it?
Is it actually worth the effort?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,341 Posts
Yes its worth it, I am runn'n low on beer:sFun_nahnahna:. In all seriousness I agree with Gary. A bunch of guys I spray for gave up on malt. The cattle prices are up and feed barley has followed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
660 Posts
Since you haven't got a contract for it, you will be on the bottom of "The List". Last time I checked, malt was $5.20 and feed barley was $5. So I would think if you can move it to the feedlot half a mile away or wait to 13.5 and then wait until June or so for a opportunity to possibility to move it and then have it rejected because of a made up reason, and then sell it to the same feedlotfor less than $5.
I used to grow and sell malt every year but have been screwed over way to many times and I can sell to a feedlot 6 miles away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Maltsters are the fussiest folk. Bring in 15000 bushells at 13 bring one at 1500 at 14 no paper blending send the truck home loaded thank you very much. Malts gotta have a big primium to consider it in my opinion
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
As a malt selector I say try for malt. As an ex farmer I say go with what works best for you. Being a non contract grower does not necessarily put you at the bottom of any "list" as long as the quality is there. If it is good stuff, we will accept it. The benefit of being a contract grower for us is we are more willing to stretch the limits of quality for contract guys than non contract. And before you worry about being tough, I would contact the elevators in the area to see what the discount is for drying, often similar to what you can do it for, and then they take the risk of killing the germ while drying. Also, the feed to malt spread is starting to expand with the weather problems that are out there, the shortage of feed is starting to go away with every day grain stays in the field. More days in the field and the spread will really start to widen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,241 Posts
Way too many people screwed over by the malt business to pursue it. And when it comes down to the nitty gritty you can malt any barley if the "malt" price gets too high for maltsters. Still growing some but it is on the list to get out of. Haven't grown wheat for decades but reading the crap going on in that market makes it clear that is the market gaming farmers too. If i had a feed lot right next door there would have to be a heck of a malt premium to pursue it. Local elevator feed is $4 and malt $4.85. Feed was $5 not long ago. Malt Jan-Mar delivery $5.35 last i looked. That means "we accept it as malt now", you haul in March/April when they finally say they will take it and say "sorry, it is no longer malt". Is it worth it for that crap?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Lots of good malt barley came off before the rain. Doubt they will even look at yours if it is still in the field. Should it go on one of those feed barley to be used as malt barley in china deals they will still buy it later even if you treat it like feed barley.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
982 Posts
Feed, maltsters are the biggest bunch of crooks out there.

O but they might double the premium, all the way from 25 cents to 50!! Fock that, maybe if the premium is double the price of feed might be worth dealing with them. If not dealing with maltsters will probably cost you money.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
Agreed, "yes, you have malt barley, please delivery it, will pay you, we promise". Then once they get it and bury it deep in the system far away, they come back that it failed here is a less amount. If you want it back you have to pay the shipping knowing it won't be cost effective. SCAM SCAM SCAM.
Another one are brokers that get you to ship it, at a real good price far away, and then reject the last load, knowing you won't ship it back, then offer you .25/bu to take it off your hands (without even opening the tarps) lowering the hole price average bringing the total price well below you would ever agree to.
Scammers all the way, if it is malt, pay the dam price at the point of delivery, fracking liars and thieves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
Thanks I appreciate the input folks..... I'm in the field right now. Its testing 18% and it's going in a bag for feed. We dont have time to wait anymore. At least were in the field!

Amen to that. We are days of sunshines away from being in the field....it just can't quit raining/snowing, but hey, it is still only September...at least that's what I keep telling myself.:9:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,241 Posts
Haven't had barley go malt last couple years, still waiting to hear if my samples are malt worthy. Weight and protein are on target so last is germination which is the thing that seems to go bad after it is bought on my farm and they choose to leave it in my bin for 6 months then say germination dropped when they decide to take their grain out of my bin so will pay feed. That is the reality of it.

There was a marketing meeting put on by local elevator in spring and the farmer sentiment was exactly as stated by posters here. The elevator reps said the entire industry has heard the same complaints and said they are trying to resolve that.

No one likes dealing with thieves so have to see how this crop plays out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,241 Posts
Malt at $5.50 for Jan - March delivery. Looks like a chance to book some in.

If not $5.50 the next thing to watch is $6.00. I have to wonder if all that feed wheat out in the fields will come off. If it doesn't then feed grains in bins gets in high demand and that pushes malt higher. My barley still out in field has next to no chance coming off in the next 10-14 days. I have other, more valuable crops to get first and suspect others think the same. I have snow on the ground again and more in the forecast.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top