The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have seeded copeland for 5 years wondering if there is a better variety or if one the maltsters look for more

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Grew some synergy this year as well as Copeland and metcalf. Copeland and synergy yielded about the same but synergy was easier to combine. It all got accepted except one field of later Copeland that is chitted too much and is on hold.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I grew Claymore feed type this yr. Big yielder, malt is so hard to get. Fertility is the big thing, we all want big yield but too much protein is the scare. There are other factors obviously also that determine malt.
I like the idea of Synergy, looks like it has good yield, almost like a feed type , and also has a lower protein that the other malt varieties.
If you don’t get malt at least you will have a good yielded to sell into the feed market.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I grew synergy this year and copeland. The synergy is much better barley and a very good fit if you struggle to get malt, as it yields higher, so you have more bushels should if go feed. Problem with synergy is that everyone is growing it and there is way more being produced than there is demand, so the specs to get malt will be much tougher in a year where there are no weather problems at harvest. Copeland will make malt with lower specs than synergy as it has great demand from maltsters, but less growers every year.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Had synergy..Went Malt..1% chitted..
10 cents a bushel less than Copeland..Stood Very Good..Hardly and heads broke off..
Yield was 108 after delivery..Growing more next yr...

·
Registered
863 Posts
Was told by Canada Malt that they won't be offering any synergy Malt contracts next year as it doesn't make very good malt. Have heard some very good yields with it. But who knows, I was told the same thing about Meredith and I still grow and sell it for malt, according to crop insurance #s I think I account for 90% of the total production of Meredith.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Had synergy..Went Malt..1% chitted..
10 cents a bushel less than Copeland..Stood Very Good..Hardly and heads broke off..
Yield was 108 after delivery..Growing more next yr...
Been awhile since been around pricing Malt. Does the price vary by variety now? Used to be grades of malt Special Select - Standard Select and Select that some farmers didn't even know there were grades and price variance, now it is all just one price but never heard of variety price spreads.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I grew metcafe the last two years. In 2018 115 bushel in 2019. 90 bushels and 12% chit. 99% germ. My question is. will it be good for seed at 12% chits?

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Had analysis of Metcalfe from this year come back as 32% chitted and 96% germination. So don't know. I thought chitting meant it wouldn't germinate. Local elevator has Metcalfe priced highest, Synergy a penny/bu less and Copeland at 10 cents/bu under Metcalfe.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I understand that, but from a seed perspective that would mean my germination would be around 70%. If germination is at 96% what does it matter what % is chitted when sticking it in the ground.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I understand that, but from a seed perspective that would mean my germination would be around 70%. If germination is at 96% what does it matter what % is chitted when sticking it in the ground.
Yeah. Don’t know 🤷‍♂️ that’s why I asked would like to put in the ground.

Partners. Why are they not buying metcafe ?

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Basically chitting is an indication of pregermination. The more chitting the more seeds likely to not germinate over time. Doesn't mean it actually will, depends on storage conditions which I don't know know the variables of. So best a guy can do is know germination at seeding time, I doubt 100% of that 12% is going to fail to germinate. Maltsters don't want to risk loss of germination between purchase and use which chitting is indicating, but if it is stored on your farm already then it could be a perfectly fine seed stock. Time will tell.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts