The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally we are allways dryer than dry this time of year.we are lucky to get 1/2 inch between July 1 and sept 1.... I am guessing but by the time this rain stops it will be pushing 2 inches in last couple days. I am almost done have about 300+ of hawket barley to do yet ???I got most of the laying down stuff before it rained . I am pretty sure there is no way it will make malt now ? I am assuming it will start chitting. And the buyer that I have it contracted with does not want it tell October . I do not have enough extra storage to keep it separate from the good I have cut and local elevator is taking none even if they have it contracted . So I think in stead of putting 15 k on top of a bunch good malt . And risking the whole lot I will dump the rained on stuff on ground when I fill my other bins.... Or is there any chance that it still could make malt?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Too much rain during harvest is exactly why we quit growing malt varieties years ago. We've been growing Austenson for the feed market lately and have had much better luck. We don't grow a lot of barley anyway, just where we want to seed WW/FR.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
It will likely depend on supply, if they are short of good malt barley and your poor stuff is better then your neighbours down the road it will work. I have a feeling there will be a lot of stained sprouted barley in this area. There is some ripe field peas down the road that I shelled out and every pod was full of water and I hear there is some ripe durum sprouting in swath also. Looking forward to seeing the sun again.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I wouldn't get too worried yet, alot depends on the supply. We used to grow malt and some years they took the worst looking stuff then the next year wouldn't take the nicer crop. We even sold Conlon one year, they were so desperate they took the feed barley and paid for the trucking right from the yard!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Malt selection is 10% quality and 90% politics.
That's scary. How can the elevator get away with that? If you have the correct specs, a judge would certainly want to hear about this :)
I think your barley might still make malting.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I was told by Grain merchant once that if you are a good malt producer and deliver good malt year after year, even if you have a bad year they will select your barley because they don't want to lose you to feed production. So they will select it and either blend it off or lose on it by reselling into feed market to keep you producing.

The other way I was told to get accepted is to owe the grain Co enough money and they WILL accept it. Then blend it off or make enough to collect the bill.

Lots of money to be made after you sell and can make up loses either way.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finally got brave and looked at the rain gauge just over 1&1/2 " I definitely will not finish by big bin with any of it. And I will call my buyer and let them know of the situation . I already got all my metcalf in to the buyer that I deal with every year. And like said above I deal with him every year and he is the best to deal with hands down I normally would sell him all my malt be he could not get enough contracts for me and told me I would be better off if I could get the rest contracted else were instead of the open market ...after it is dry enough to combine how long does it take a lab or who ever to tell if it is chitting or not? This has been some of the best malt I have ever grown mid to high 90 plump and anywhere from9.5 to 11.5 protein and for my dry land I am very happy with that ....mother nature give and Mother Nature takes....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey Montana, where are you located I have a buyer if you have any problems, may have to keep it awhile, I agree with the bag idea, let me know if you need any help with your marketing,

Dan Bagnell
Commercial Lynks
406-845-5538
Galata

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Coors rejects barley??? I thought they only took the spoiled grain around bin bottoms to make that stuff!!!! ha ha

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I have one field left of Metcalf. about 3/4" of drizzle on it in the past few days. It will go in a bin with the best fan I have. Hope to get it dry and cool fast, then hope it still makes malt. Was my best looking field of barley a few weeks ago :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.