The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We used 1480 combines back in 84 (8 machines) on the harvest run we kept them 2 seasons put about 2800/3000 hrs on them and they were knackered, chaffers fell out, feeder house floor worn through, clean grains and returns floors worn out, rear axles snapped. so I would say 1500 hrs tops before lots of parts needed replacing. apart from that they were a nice machine to use back in the day

·
Registered
216 Posts
It sure is hard to find a good 1440 or 1460 combine these days. My dad and I let a good one slip right through our fingers and now I can't seem to find one thats worth a darn with in 300 miles of our farm.
Looked at a few but they all had well over 4k hrs and were just beat all to heck. And a 16 series is just way to far out of our price range. I found a few 1420 and 1620's that were super but I have heard on here how many parts are getting hard to find. Guess I'm gonna have to go with a green one since thats all I can find. But a red one would look so good in my barn!!!

At what point in a IH combine considered wore out? How many hours? I'm just too scared of a 5,000hr combine.
DM01

·
Registered
423 Posts
why not look for somthing a little newer like a 1660 or a 2366 if you want a low hour machine after all a 1460 could be somewhere around 24 to 26 years old. good luck no matter what colour machine you find.

·
Registered
352 Posts
just be patient one will come around just dont get in a big hurry. to bad you didnt get the one you were looking at

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'd love a 1640 or the likes but just can't swing it. about 15k is all I can do right now and thats for heads and everything. Right now I just need a grain head which gives me a little room to play with.
It don't have to be a low hour machine just one thats been taken care of. I have seen 5k hr machines that look better than 3k hr machines.
My biggest wants is AC and electronic float. a chopper and 4wd would be nice also.
DM01

·
Registered
657 Posts
would you be interested in a machine farther from home i know a dealer in michigan that has some i could check on price for you if you want. this dealer has there own truck to haul it so may not be as expensive as a commercial truck would be. let me know if you are interested i could check for you. what part of kentucky are you from northern , central , southern

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you keep looking you will find one. I picked one up a couple of weeks ago in IL next to the Iowa border. 450 miles from me. Its got a few more hours than I wanted (4010) but we only put on 150 a year at most. Where I got it it was old and small but the thing still shines up close. I gave $6200 for it because it did need a little work but other than A/C needing to be recharged they were all cosmetic.

·
Registered
404 Posts
If the machine is in overall decent condition I wouldn't be worried about a 4000 hr machine. I mean you can only buy what you can afford, right? We've got a 1440 with 5500 hrs on it and over 30 years we've fixed most things but I can count on one hand the number of break downs costing us more than an afternoon. Check the obvious wear points. Run it in road gear up some hills to see how the power is and the hydrostatic drive is. Run the rotor wide open to see how much vibration is in it. Check the seals on the final-drives and between the engine and the pto gear box. Wiggle the fan to see if the water pump is failing. If it's a 40 then run it in 2nd gear to make sure everything runs smooth as that gear seems to fail every couple thousand hrs. There's nothing wrong with a 40 but a 60 is so much nicer. More power and heavier axles, transmission, final drives,etc. I wouldn't discount a 1600 series either. Way nicer to run and I've seen them very cheap as well. Most of the things you'll have to deal with won't keep you out of the field for long unless you are really unlucky. Silicone and duct tape will solve alot of problems in the field and then you can really fix it at a more conveinent time. Good luck.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks guys keep em coming.
Got a few to look at now. I think I'm gonna go with the 1460 size combine. Not much more money and like everybody said built a little heavier. I found one with 6100 hrs on it but I't looks in better shape than 2 I saw with 4k hrs. But It worries me that even though It has a lot of new parts like the motor and rotor and all the augurs Its still a 6k hr combine

Would it be hard to keep the rotor full in a 1460 running a 15' head?
The combine needs new scevies * sp in the back. It does have fore and aft and fedder house reverser which is nice. and comes with a 1020 head that looks almost new but its 20' and Its too big for my area.
DM01

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm running a 16.5ft on the 1460. Finally got it in the field tonight and running good oats 60-70 bu an taking the straw she was working it a little. I don't think a 15ft would be an issue unless your not taking the straw.

·
Registered
216 Posts
How dumb of an idea is it to buy a 1420?
I know a guy who has one with around 3k hrs bu its in great shape. Just rebuilt the rotor and man is it clean.
DM01

·
Registered
106 Posts
For all the effort you've put in to finding a 14 series, you really should have been looking at a 16. You would find one in your price range. Superior quality, probably less hours. If you're going to spend the money to get something in the ground, you gotta spend the money to get the most off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts