The Combine Forum banner

Managing pea stubble

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  PlatoSask 
#1 ·
Hello looking for some good ideas on how to handle up harvested pea stubble. Have a half section that was to wet to combine and the geese destroyed it and pushed it all into the ground. I can't pick it up with a fd 70. I think it will be to close to the wet ground to burn it. I can get a deglemen pro till. Was wondering if a hay rake would windrow it and I could burn it or combine it. What is my best option. I'm sure someone has dealt with hailed out or unharvested peas before. Thanks for the help.

#3 ·
i have some sloughs in the same predicament, I was going to, first try and burn them (they were diseased pretty bad, I think burning will nip any bad spores before they spread??) then double disk, then heavy harrow.

So the protill will make 2 steps into 1.

#4 ·
You can V rake them and windrow and bale. Don't combine as the rake will put lots of small rocks into the windrow. The area under the windrow does not get raked and some peas will be left behind after the baler picks the windrow. You need to rake opposite the direction of seeding.

If the peas were too flat to harvest with a FD70 and have decomposed a lot since then, they may go through your drill (if its a drill with good trash flow). Wait for a day when the humidity is low and dew is off the pea straw.

#7 ·
I have a field I put peas on for cover crop. Now I need to seed it. I am hoping they are very brittle and I can seed direct into it. Otherwise I will have to put my old flexi 6000 back on the cart and try to seed with it. Still have doubts that will work very well if conditions are poor. Could be fun. One little field may be more work and time consuming than 1000 acres of seeding this year. :54:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.