The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the interesting spring we've had in western Canada I'm curious as to people's thoughts on the best way to handle canola stands that have large differences in crop staging? I know I'm not the only one with some problem children this year.

For example, i've got a quarter that is full bloom in the low land and swales and cabbage 6-8 leaf everywhere else. Probably two weeks difference minimum. Not pod shatter canola. Can't feasibly swath it seperately. Would you dessicate it early? Lay it down green? Or gamble on the frost?

I'm tempted to just roll up on it with 24d, work it down and put it into winter wheat, atleast get some of the nutrients back instead of fighting with frozen snow-ola again. Feels like quitting though...

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Nobody wants to touch this with a ten foot pole! :22:

I can’t see 6-8 leaf stuff making it with a miracle fall let alone an average fall frost date.

Is there really no way to segregate the good canola from the lottery stand?

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I think Joe is right, the stuff that isn't even flowering yet has a slim chance of making it. If that's the case, I would say to swath it when the more advanced stuff is ready to be swathed, the stuff that is so far behind won't have seed anyways and it will just blow out the back of the combine. I know ours is spread out a bit too, but not that much, thankfully ours is pod shatter variety. We doubt we will be able to straight cut any this year just because it has such a variance in the maturity. It's going to be a tough call this fall when to do anything because the crop maturity is spread out so much, unless of course we don't get any rain, it will burn up at an even rate.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think Joe is right, the stuff that isn't even flowering yet has a slim chance of making it. If that's the case, I would say to swath it when the more advanced stuff is ready to be swathed, the stuff that is so far behind won't have seed anyways and it will just blow out the back of the combine. I know ours is spread out a bit too, but not that much, thankfully ours is pod shatter variety. We doubt we will be able to straight cut any this year just because it has such a variance in the maturity. It's going to be a tough call this fall when to do anything because the crop maturity is spread out so much, unless of course we don't get any rain, it will burn up at an even rate.
Yeah there was a few spots that just seemed to miss all the rain this year, this was one of them. So the low spots all germinated and grew and got way ahead of everywhere else. Usually the field waters out 30%.

I think this is pretty much the only option. Last year we left it too close to the frost and it never dried down worth a ****, not worth it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ours is all SC canola this yr..So it should pan out OK if we let stand..Many here dont own swathers so it will be real interesting to see what they do..

·
Registered
461 Posts
Ours is all SC canola this yr..So it should pan out OK if we let stand..Many here dont own swathers so it will be real interesting to see what they do..

not all straight cut varieties created equal..... outside of the invigor P series I would be leery of letting the good stuff sit ripe indefinitely waiting on the green. just because its straight cut doesn't mean it cant be swathed.

·
Registered
480 Posts
not all straight cut varieties created equal..... outside of the invigor P series I would be leery of letting the good stuff sit ripe indefinitely waiting on the green. just because its straight cut doesn't mean it cant be swathed.
Yes we will be swathing all ours before dead ripe..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts