The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I dug through the past posts on the forum and didn’t find much that helped. Has anyone run either the Mandako storm or Schulte VTX-300 in a black soil zone to deal with heavy trash? Pea straw is my biggest issue and I know guys on here usually vote for a pass or 2 with a pro-till (which is usually what I do) but I’m looking into something that might perform better.

I’ve watched some of the millennial farmer vids about the mandako but corn tillage is a bit different than cereals and pulses.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So I dug through the past posts on the forum and didn’t find much that helped. Has anyone run either the Mandako storm or Schulte VTX-300 in a black soil zone to deal with heavy trash? Pea straw is my biggest issue and I know guys on here usually vote for a pass or 2 with a pro-till (which is usually what I do) but I’m looking into something that might perform better.

I’ve watched some of the millennial farmer vids about the mandako but corn tillage is a bit different than cereals and pulses.
VTX is an awesome concept, and IMO the best adjustable angle unit on the market, but I think it is just too expensive.... with all the increases I’m sure they are closing in on $8000/ft. And they are no longer prototyping the 42’, wonder how much longer the 30’ will be available... unless you were able to find one for cheap on RB... but even with a unit like that I’m sure you would need 2 passes on pea ground to prevent much bunching in the spring with the seeder.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VTX is an awesome concept, and IMO the best adjustable angle unit on the market, but I think it is just too expensive.... with all the increases I’m sure they are closing in on $8000/ft. And they are no longer prototyping the 42’, wonder how much longer the 30’ will be available... unless you were able to find one for cheap on RB... but even with a unit like that I’m sure you would need 2 passes on pea ground to prevent much bunching in the spring with the seeder.
$8000/ft... that's just ridiculous. I hadn't even received a quote on that unit yet and there are none on the used market whatsoever. I knew it would be pricey but not a chance at that. I'm fine with needing a couple passes, but I wanted something adjustable compared to the Pro Till.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Do not want to derail thread, but do not be like me and mistake the Schulte Soilmaster for a Schulte vtx-300. Somehow in the heat of Spring battles I had opportunity to rent a Soilmaster as had some very heavy wheat(last yr) residue to work in and get in shape for canola planter. I am not sure how "soil" makes it into the name as there is very little soil action. In fact, it just a glorified, very heavy, very expensive heavy harrow(think this was a 36' and a cool $110k). The harrow action would only work in very good heavy harrow conditions(we get about 7-10days of these per year if we lucky) and the disk action that you get is very negligible. Not that I had any, but maybe if you had perfect conditions it may cut pea straw enough such that harrows would not ball up pea straw, but my thinking is it would not work there either. Am not sure why anybody would consider one of these units even though it seemed to be well built - decent heavy harrow would accomplish the same thing. I did about 65 acres before I gave up and got out the Sunflower - and the heavy harrows.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Again like in a different thread my next drill will be a Pillar laser. Just seed I have been told. If you can direct seed behind a stripper header peas would be a breeze. Made in Warman Saskatchewan too!! I have been debating after BrianT talked of his happiness with his drill. Did a lot of trolling on the computer and I am impressed.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I rented a mandako twister last year to deal with some pea residue in order to band fertilizer. The straw was tough and would make a mess with our conventional tools or the ground was too hard to penetrate.
I was impressed with the job of the mandako and the adjustable disc angle is fantastic. We could chop the residue up nicely, but still leave a little on top. In areas of erosion risk, we could run a less aggressive angle to just chop the residue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts