The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I am planning to use some next year to see if it does as good as the results show

The data

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$Department/deptdocs.nsf/all/crop14718/$FILE/au-2014-bernardin-manipulator-a-plant-growth-regulator.pdf

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Saw some trials here this year. I can't remember the exact numbers, but I think around 10 bu better if sprayed at GS31-32. Mixed in with herbicide, it still gave around 5 bu better. So if you have the time/logistics to do another pass, it would pay. If not, adding it at herbicide time is better than not at all. There was also a strip adding it at fungicide timing, but it was too late - 0bu/ac response.

Andrew

·
Registered
522 Posts
Andrew , are those results based on having all fert applied at seeding? I am assuming yes.
Are there any results with a split fert program - top dressing?
We are splitting our fert program now with the same type of results. Putting 60% down with seed then 20% with Herb and then 20% at Fungicide time. Getting far less lodging and gaining protein.
I am curious to know what gives the yield response? Shorter straw = more nutrient for yield? Are there any protein gains? I doubt there would be but what are the protein numbers in corilation with those yield gains.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Christian, save my money on what ? I am not spending any more than I did before and am doing the same thing without pgr. Fert type, timing and variety selection.
Does ethrel have to be applied in a separate pass?
I have no doubt it works in most cases if you are front loading 90% or more of a high fert program at or before seeding, or before 4 leaf.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Sorry, I meant don't spend money on Manipulator.

Spend it on Ethrel, if you are going for a PGR....

Blairs Ag put on a field day with Manipulator, you couldn't tell the difference between sprayed and not... this is on feedlot land so very very high front end nutrient loading.... Wheat was very heavy but there was no real lodging benefit that I could see from the road or in the field.

We did a test strip because we got a jug... didn't do sfa. But again, we split our N like you do.

Ethrel on the other hand shortens Unity wheat down to hip height from chest height and keeps it standing right through to straight cut.... It's applied just before the head emerges which is ideal timing for quilt or such we find.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've tried cycocell in test strips and one full field triai. i was a tad bit late on my timing and it actually made it taller, but the stems were noticeably stronger on radiant. On spring wheat there was a noticeable difference, ac andrew was aprox 4 inches shorter, but the canopy was clearly less dense as there were less tillers but more main heads. there was no clear yield difference. Iam more excited about ethrel firstly because i can match the timing with my twin line or quilt. They say crop is very sensitive to timing with this product but i find flag leaf easy to time. not only was the height difference visible from the road but i find it keep my leafs green long after my seed was mature. yield was 5 bushels higher but the snow knocked it down. i will continue to test these products but i wouldn't depend on it as yield increase. Along with split n and extra fungicide pass this might provide for better wheat crops. Ive seen in the past that balanced fertility is still the best bet for keeping your wheat standing. In a short season spending money on a pgr is a risk because the yield can is not always there and a good snow fall in september can wreck your standing wheat the same way as not applying pgr. I understand from people in europe there is much better products with less risk. Chemical registration in canada is an issue and cost should hold people back, if it cost 3 bucks and acre which it should it be a different story.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We tried some on our fall rye this year in southern MB. Applied .7l/ac at about 6 leaf stage on May 22, a week and a half later we already noticed a few inches difference in height. We are also planning on trying some in Perennial Ryegrass, wheat and oats. It is our first time trying any kind of growth regulator.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Just curious, what is the reasoning for these grain companies not wanting to buy grain that's been sprayed with this stuff?
Liability I believe. We have the makings of a classic trade war here with the US. The US has not yet approved MRL's for this product and for fear of wheat shipments being rejected stateside the companies that primarily do business there are just avoiding the product altogether. Canada and Mexico are applying to WTO to impose 3 billion in tariffs against the US right now as a response to COOL. Viterra at least will accept Manipulator treated wheat but you must make a declaration and they are presumably taking that grain overseas, it is approved everywhere else in the world but the US apparently...

I think the US should focus a little more of their trade barriers at Asia, shutting of the supply of dollar-store crap from China would be a great place to start.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.