The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is it that storms are roaming through Manitoba but there doesn't seem to be any rain in them? Radar is showing activity but in their wake , no rain on the ground. This is the oddest summer I have ever seen for rain . Is it the smoke?

·
Registered
752 Posts
I think the forest fire smoke is interfering with radar. I have had purple and red colors on the map come over my farm and drop 1 tenth of rain so something is not right.

·
Registered
36 Posts
All year I’ve been noticing the radar has been overstating the reality. Tracking storms in my area that appear to be medium intensity and not even a few drops come from it. The sites I watch are ones that have been quite good in the past, but not this year.
I’ve had a few times where the local forecast has said it’s raining and will be for the next couple hours and nothing happens. Where I’m at, I can see a long way in every direction and it might be overcast but it’s not raining anywhere within 50 miles.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Don't worry boys, we'll get made whole when it rains 6" during harvest.

The difference between minimum and conventional tillage is stark this year.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I don't think the smoke has anything to do with it.
I think it's just the nature of a drought.
All growing season we have had intense looking cells go over with wind, thunder but only a few spits of rain.
It goes the other way too. Years back when we were locked in a wet cycle, a harmless looking thing on the radar could result in a lot of rain.

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
I thought I learned in school that rain can evaporate before hitting the ground, if the humidity is so low it easily converts back to a gaseous state faster than the time it takes to hit the ground, A big cell may overcome that but small ones don't have enough volume. I could be full of crap though, won't be the first time or last, LOL
I am actually going to work over sloughs that have had water my whole life this year. knock down cattails to reduce snow trapping. Then put the blade on the tractor and consolated some areas to an unfarmable area, not draining any water at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm from Eastern Washington State and we've been noticing the same thing...weather on radar looking like we should get rain, but the clouds passing us by with maybe a spit or 2 but nothing advantageous. The wheat crop here is down by more than 30 percent, some more than 70 on marginal ground planted late coming out of CRP. It's not good. The farmers may do fine financially, if they have crop insurance, but what will our yields be if the drought continues? If we have a continued drought we'll be in a world of hurt for sure. We did get a late rain about a month ago that barely finished off the crop, after many days of prayer. We need rain for next year's crops...badly! It would be very bad if we were entering a time of drought that lasts years...Many of our farmers around here are having a hard time filling their contracts and may have to go out and buy wheat to fill them, if they can find it.
How's the yield for wheat for our neighbors up north this year?

·
Super Moderator
4,259 Posts
I'm from Eastern Washington State and we've been noticing the same thing...weather on radar looking like we should get rain, but the clouds passing us by with maybe a spit or 2 but nothing advantageous.
Wonder if the smoke in the atmosphere is affecting radar accuracy?

Or, is the smoke affecting weather?
Traveled 100 km yesterday (one way), no significant elevation change, where smoke the densest 26, where clearest 31.
So for sure it is affecting ground temperatures.

Too early to tell on yields of wheat. But down. Significantly.

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
Big Dave for the most part the wheat harvest has not started in Western Canada. Most years it starts in early September. This year due to drought it will be starting much earlier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts