The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2388 with AFS Yield monitor, and am going to add GPS to make yield maps. However, would like to get some independent opinions on mapping software. Should I just go with Case IH AFS Software, or is AgLeader's software better? Any others? I guess I haven't even checked pricing yet, but I want the potential for making maps for variable rate planting and fertilizing in the future, so I want "value" instead of cheap or difficult. I don't have any experience with mapping software, but I am good this tech stuff. Sometimes it seems like some of the "aftermarket" products are better than the standard JD or CaseIH, or etc... because they have to overcome brand recognition of these other names....sometimes. I just want to make an informed decision, instead of just following the easy path.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Case IH and New Holland sell licensed/branded/renamed copies of Ag Leader's software, so functionally they are the same.

Other major players are Farmworks and Mapshots. Unless your fleet is mostly green, I would shy away from Deere's Apex software.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I ran the Agleader in our 2388, and we did like the software. What I didn't like was the black and white screen in the combine. Once on the computer it worked great; but I think the combine needs a color screen that is mapping in real time. I feel that information would translate better if i could watch the yield maps being made. Anyways just a thought, I know agleader does offer a color screen, we just made the mistake and went the cheap way.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
CaseIH afs software is identical to AgLeader's SMS. AFS desktop from our dealer is $800 and AgLeader SMS is $1500. Don't know why?

·
Registered
560 Posts
because you're pricing AFS Basic against SMS Advanced...

Case IH now offers an Advanced version as well, with identical functionality to SMS Advanced.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
The case/agleader sms software is really nice.. i do soil samples with it and have 10 years of grain harvest data.

I just now have started with fertilizer prescription maps and doing some planting maps...

im baseing some fields off of yield and some on soil type...

U can download all of your field images in no time if you have your boundrys set up... and soil type maps...

its worth the money then you can do a 170 (somewhere in there) yearly fee that gives you tech support and updates to your software..

Farmworks would be your other bet... great tech support with them and a good product as well.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
i may be wrong. I know we paid 1500 about 3-4 years ago, but just went online and found it for 750. Basic, that is. I only have basic and never had advanced. Does anyone know if advanced has any features a producer can use versus a crop consultant, etc?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts