The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cut a sample of the last of my mustard mess. Late seeding and then late rain in August turned the field into every stage possible. The last frost should have been the final fork ( was still blooming in a few places ). What is ripe is good and dry, but the share of green seed is increasing ( 5-10%). Will get a reading tomorrow on the sample to know moisture for sure. I do not have full floor air and am nervous about storing it for long in the air bin I have.

My guess (hope) is that a color sorter would be able to clean up this mess. Anyone with experience or suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
4,373 Posts
Unlike canola where the green is inside I assume mustard green seed is on the outside of the seed?
If so a sorter should readily handle that.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Never paid attention to green seeds much. But I would guess 1 to 2% green would be on the high side that I deal with. As long as it tested fairly dry then it goes in the bin and those green seeds will turn. A mustard processor should confirm that for you. Generally take yellow mustard off straight cut, last crop to come off, after a good frost to kill off and dry down those low spots still green or blooming. No problem with green seeds. Grade has always been taken down by inseparables, not green seeds. 10% green may be a different story on how you go forward.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Yes, finding someone with a color sorter is the best way to solve that. But in a world where unthreshed flax bolls are also taken as dockage rather than reprocessed by the buyer at time of cleaning, then this all makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. After cleaning, sample green count was 2%, but moisture was closer to 10%. Will have to stand for awhile. This morning was low teens for several hours. Plants looked done this afternoon. Next 10 days look dry.

·
Super Moderator
4,373 Posts
Thanks all. After cleaning, sample green count was 2%, but moisture was closer to 10%. Will have to stand for awhile. This morning was low teens for several hours. Plants looked done this afternoon. Next 10 days look dry.
What discount for 2% green and how dry do you need?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Demand for mustard is such that I think they are willing to blend it away with minimal discount (vague). Kinda like how the maltster can use any barley if they really have to. Letting it dry down to 8 or under and will resample and go from there.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I had an ill-fated Yellow mustard experiment a couple years back(will never grow that stuff again) and was dealing with much higher green count than you - IE 15-30%. The problem with a sorter is that the slightly green seeds really make for a pretty big loss using a color sorter. I would say mkt conditions this year are much more in your favor and the quality is a lot different as well so think you are ok. I did think that processor I dealt with was quite fair with how this got handled and think that is a consideration as well. If you want name of one I dealt with PM me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts